Wikileaks posts Classified US military video depicting slaying of Iraqis

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Compile 'em all, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Video is not for the faint hearted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

More info
    Soliders? They sound like criminals. Act like criminals. Absolutely disgusting. I wonder if I will ever see this video posted on BBC or CNN.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

You'll never see this on CNN, but I'd be surprised if some international media didn't pick it up.

This is absolutely disgusting. These soldiers are criminals and should be tried as such.

EDIT: Al Jazeera has it on their front page, proving yet again that they are a more legitimate news network than any American media outlet.

3. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

to be honest, i couldn't tell if that was a RPG or a camera.

to the soldiers its either their buddies life or his.

also arent reporters supposed to be wearing bright vests sayings PRESS on it??

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- that was just... I don't even know what to say.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"come on, let us shoot!"

Did you hear how these guys were talking, they really didn't even sound like they thought they were in any actual danger. Trigger happy *******s.

Also, I think it may be even more dangerous to reporters to wear identifiers.

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Bad things happen in wars. This is also a good illustration on why this war can't be won. We have no clearly defined enemy.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And an even better illustration of why we're leaving.

8. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

^ This post can't be real. Is it?

Even though you make absolutely NO SENSE AT ALL, let's assume they had grenades and guns and dynamite and all kinds of portable WMDs. Why did they shoot on that van? It was quite clear that they were just trying to help the wounded. Any one with half a brain could see that.

Unfortunately, it seemed that these criminals (aka soldiers) enjoy shooting people. Innocent or not. They just want to fire. Could you hear what they were saying? These people belong in prison.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I understand soldiers are in a tough position and make mistakes, but that was just insane.

Furthermore, if mistakes are made they should be admitted, not covered up. That just makes this look even worse. And this does look really bad.

10. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

To me it really does look like they have weapons, is that a standard stance when the military is flying over to lean up on a wall in a prone position?

11. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

Has anyone actually been to war?

You're in a mother ****ing combat zone, what do you want to do? Ask the ****ing guy what hes holding?

Not to mention, in the video after the ground troops arrive they state "Is THIS RPG live?" "Yeah it looks live to me, over"

The ground troops confirmed an RPG on the ground.

12. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

What does this have to do with shooting at a Van with civilians and children (SITTING IN THE FRONT SEAT) trying to help someone badly wounded on the ground?

Yes?

Can you please explain to me why they sound like a bunch of psychotic criminals enjoying killing people? insurgents or not?

I still can't believe you are actually trying to justify anything that happened on that video.

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I saw a bunch of fat old people and a journalist hanging out get mowed down by a helicopter what was clearly not under attack.

Does just having guns in Iraq qualify you for murder?

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Remarkable.

Anything got anything else to say?

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Its nice to know that I live in a nation that condons behavior every bit as bad as the attacks on the twin towers...f***

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What does that have to do with all the "they're trying to pick up the bodies" comments from the soldiers? The soldiers themselves made it very clear that there was no danger presented by the van or its occupants.

17. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Can you define their criminal behavior?

This is at least partially true.

The gunship crew weren't in any danger. This is obvious from watching the video. They're flying cover for a ground element.

It's evident to me that they wanted to shoot because they thought they were about to lose intelligence.

I don't see that.

It's not evident from the video that there are civilians, much less children in the vehicle. It's also not clear what the intentions of the vehicle or the persons who are picking up the wounded person are.

That said, this comes pretty close to crossing the line.

Have you ever been in a combat zone? This is in 2007, at the height of the insurgency. You don't think it's normal for people who are in combat conditions to get amped up?

Justify or understand?

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Where is this line of yours if this isn't crossing it?:confused:

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

They didn't know there were kids until after the fact. What they saw was a black van rushing in (after ground troops were ordered on the scene) to what they interpreted as insurgents trying to clean the scene. They were trying to help the wounded guy and I think that should info should have been given on the radio to the commanding officer who ordered the 2nd engagement. I don't think firing on the van would have been cleared if that was made clear. Not sure if the commander who gave the green light was watching what the helicopter pilots/gunner(s) were seeing. I'd like clarification on this.

Disgusting? Yes. Criminals? No.

Hard to see what they're carrying in the video. Namir and Saaed new the risks blending in with the enemy. I hate the fact that they were shot but how on Earth could these soldiers have known they're journalists?

Hopped up on adrenaline plus you can't tell there's kids in the van. Look at the picture and tell me how you can tell those are kids. You're lying if you can. With that said, the pilot or whoever was on the radio describing the van rushing in left out the important fact that they're helping the wounded guy. That piece of info needed to have been shouted out.

Attached Files:

20. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

stuff like this makes me sad to be a human being, not to mention ashamed to be an American.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

22. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Let's take a step back.

What line do you believe was crossed and why?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd say killing people who clearly pose no threat as they try to help the lone survivor would be crossing a line.

Unprovoked killing is a line I don't ever want to see crossed.

24. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

The fact that they're in Iraq in the first place is questionable, but to see them engaged in such actions is sickening and makes one wonder how often stuff like this goes on not only in Iraq but also Afghanistan and Pakistan (through drones).

The scary part is that those journalists didn't have any way of knowing the attack was coming, and no way of defending themselves or even hiding once it came. Putting yourself in their shoes makes for a very terrifying experience.

25. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Let's take another step back.

Do you fully understand what's going on in this (heavily edited) video? Who are the actors involved? What elements are Crazyhorse, Hotel-Two-Six and other radio call signs referring to? Why is this gunship orbiting the area? Who called them there? What are they perceiving and what is their understanding of the situation? What is the location of the ground element? What is the unit makeup of the ground element? Why are they there?

From watching the video, I can infer the answer to many of these questions and I'll give you my opinion in a bit, but given the wide possibilities, do you think it's outside the realm of possibility that these people didn't pose a perceived possible threat to the ground element by the crew of the gunship?