Will 2GB of RAM to be iPhone 6 Plus only feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Jul 6, 2015.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Anyone else think Apple will do something like this?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Apple has never announced or released the amount of ram in an iPhone. Any new feature has to be understood by the masses not just the geeks.

3. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I certainly hope not. I don't want to pay for something I won't be using. One gig is more than enough for me.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You post header seems to indicate that you know this to be true and yet you do not.

No one does.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That would contradict all the rumors we've heard so far about the next generation iPhone as well as past precedent.

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

Why would they do this? That would mean they'd create two separate SoCs for two high-end iPhone models, they're not going to do this and they've never done this in the past and so, there is no history to prove this.

Remember, the RAM is packaged with the CPU/GPU in iPhones. The iPad I believe is still out of package with RAM. It is more likely Apple would do this for the different iPad models than iPhones.

Both iPhones will have 2GB but iPhone 6+ may have slightly increased CPU/GPU clock rates but that's it.

I believe the iPhone C series would be reserved with 1GB while the higher-end gets 2GB.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Lets stop with the bickering. I updated the title to make it more accurate and removed a number of posts that were not germane to the discussion

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

This. There better be a bump in RAM, but that likely wouldn't be the only thing (assuming it will happen as it really should).

10. mjschabow macrumors 65816

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPhone 6 Plus? :confused:

12. redman042 macrumors 68020

There will be improvements to the camera, LTE chip, and probably a host of other little things. Force Touch is likely, and that could turn out to be a really big deal depending on how the software uses it.

But don't discount the benefits of 2 GB of RAM. I for one cannot wait for this upgrade. It will really help with the speed of web page loads, retaining multiple app states at once for better multitasking, overall reduction of pauses and stuttering, and performance. I have played with the iPad Air 2 in the store, and it runs circles around my first gen Air when I use it like a PC (switching between multiple web pages and other apps). Complex web pages load much faster because there is not nearly as much memory management going on in the background.

13. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Er.

My 6 Plus is a 5.5 inch phone. Was mine a freak accident out of the factory? :eek:

14. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I think mjschabow's post is a sarcasm (but I could be wrong). Many people said that Apple would never release a 5.5" phone.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It would be the single best upgrade feature the 6S could possibly have, and a reason in itself for selling my 6+.

16. TheKevinFang macrumors member

???

17. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

Not everyone tries to use their phone like it is a mainframe.

18. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Possibly one of the weirder comments on this forum. You wont pay a premium and more ram has absolutely no downsides.

19. bhayes444, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I think the ??? is appropriate because if you have 2GB of RAM in a phone you will be using that amount of RAM, regardless of whether you "use it like it is a mainframe" or not.

I just can't understand why people don't want an extra amount of RAM. Battery impact is fairly negligible, and it's not like Apple is going to give anyone a discount for not putting it in there.

20. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Then why do they advertise the number of transistors in their processors, or the size of the pixels in the camera (not the MP, but the actual pixel size)?

21. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

You realize the next iPhone will cost 199$ (just like every year) no matter if it has 1 or 2 GB in it, right?

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Some of us want 2015/2016 premium smartphone capabilities. Technology moves on at a rapid pace and the concept of merely using a phone for calls, SMS and camera died some years ago. Perhaps you don't need a smartphone but some of us want computing power in our pockets and the technology is available right now. Apple claim to be at the very forefront of the smartphone tech race and as the years roll by so should the spec and capability of smartphones increase.

Let me guess, you only want the camera & battery life to improve and everything else to stay the same because it 'does the job for you' just fine as things stand now?

23. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

They had no problem advertising 64 bit architecture though.

24. TheKevinFang macrumors member

What.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's somewhat different in the sense that it's a whole design jump basically, and something only they have done thus far, and not just a generic bump in memory.