Will 3G unlimited customers be able to have unlimited 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i4Collin, Jun 30, 2011.

1. i4Collin macrumors regular

Will AT&T and Verizon customers grandfathered into unlimited 3G data plans have to switch to limited plans when the 4G iPhone comes about. I'm not saying there will be a 4G iPhone this year, but there will be one eventually. I just wanted to know so i'm not shocked when I'm told I have to switch to 2GB/month.

2. jp700p macrumors regular

Right now, they are saying yes. http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/2...g-to-4g-after-july-7-can-keep-unlimited-data/

However that doesn't mean it won't change. Heres my guess... next year at around July 2012, Verizon will announce any future 4G devices (regardless if you have unlimited 3G or 4G) will need to have a tier.

Or heres another scenario: After July 2012, any new 4G devices will need to upgrade to a new tier for fast 20mbps downloads. All current grandfathered unlimited 4G customers are limited to 2mbps or something like that.

Does anyone with a long history with Verizon know if they are good about keeping grandfathered plans??

Anyone doing the "pixi method" have any info when talking to verizon reps??

Ahh its almost the 7th!!!

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

As previously discussed, the transition should be seamless. If you have an dire concerns, make the move to a 4G device ahead of time.

4. xdbuix macrumors 6502

i asked the same thing before on another thread. I actually got responses from ppl who worked within verizon. Both saying that it's not likely to upgrade from 3g to 4g because for the verizon system 3g and 4g, both are encoded differently. So when you go to upgrade to your next phone, you have to stick with the same plan you have, because of how the system works.

Don't quote me on this, this is just answers i got from other ppl

5. flipster macrumors 6502a

Maybe, maybe not. According to this, they are *technically* the same.

However, you could use this again them:

[​IMG]

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As of now, it looks likely that both AT&T and Verizon will allow 3g unlimited users to go to 4g or LTE with unlimited

After this cycle, I severely doubt it happens again.