Will 3gb/s SSD prices drop anytime soon because of 6gb/sec SSDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, Mar 20, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm about to pull the trigger on the OWC Data Doubler with
    120GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD bundle for $279. Just heard the
    Vertex 3 drives etc. are coming out and wonder if the older 3gb/s SSD drive
    prices are going to fall soon? I saw the OCZ special $380 for 240gb and wonder if other deals with OWC might be out soon.

Please let me know if I should buy now. I'd rather have 240gb for camera/video file editing.

2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Prices aren't going to drop because of the Vertex 3. Prices are going to drop now that SSD's are becoming more of a mainstream part than a luxury. More demand = more competition = lower prices.

3. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

If anything prices will go up in the coming future. Quite a few Japanese plants that produce NAND flash are out of commission for the time-being (so supply will be a little tighter for a while). Regardless of the tragic Japan situation, NAND is still expensive to produce. Couple that with the increasing popularity of SSDs (both from the consumer and OEMs) and one could come to the conclusion that SSDs won't be making a large drop in price anytime soon.

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    im sure china and other far east plants also manufacture NAND flash too..

vertex 2 are already dropping in prices, and the V3 will probably demand a premium due to their exclusivity with sandforce controller for a certain period of time!

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Prices are going up, because of imminent shortage of NAND.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ces_spike_on_worries_over_supplies_from_Japan

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh