Will 4th generation Ipad sales be slow in anticipation of next Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 27, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Whether of not there is a new Ipad in March I wonder of sales of the 4th will very slow?

Why fork out £400 if a new tablet is months away? I think Ipad 2 and mini sales will have a strong Xmas.

I think the 4th generation will struggle to sell in millions.

2. osdesignstore macrumors newbie

I hope so, Apple screwed so many iPad 3 owners. I don't know if Steve Jobs would have allowed it, they used to respect their customers.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Nobody will update from ipad 3 in numbers and potential new buyers might look at cheaper models whist they wait for a new design ipad.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I don't think sales will be slow. How many of Gen x owners have to buy Gen X+1? I think it more likely its the Gen X-1 or more brigade that are likely to purchase the new Gen X+1.

I don't see how it's a case of being screwed. The iPad3 is still a great product; so there is one with a slightly quicker CPU/GPU but will that actually make a noticeable difference for most users? I think probably not.

Its just the 'I have the latest' factor.

Yes the timing was too close to the previous version, but sooner or later it would either be a swift release like this or a much longer one so that product lines can be brought into line for simultaneous updates and at a time of year that is good for sales.

People would have complained about a longer delay if it were done the other way round and possibly some potential buyers could have gone elsewhere.

just my view on this that's all.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah, I wonder this too. I think they'll push it to at least June.

7. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I never bought the iPad 3 because of no speed bump. Now with the A6, I knew I had to get it. I had the OG iPad 1, so this is going to be a great upgrade. Regardless, an A6X, Retina Display, and LTE is all I need. Maybe the next one will have a redesign, but oh well, I will enjoy what I have for many years ahead, just like I enjoyed the iPad 1.

8. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I'm an iPad 3 owner, I did not get screwed. The ipad 3 was going to be replaced sometime within a 12 month period, it just happened a little early. I'm not even a little bit annoyed. My iPad 3 stills works as well as it did before October 23. The only thing I feel is confusion as to when to expect the next upgrade.

9. superstarmc macrumors regular

I second this, maybe not till iOS 7. I mean the ipad mini is gonna make sure ipad sales remain high.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

11. rh1 macrumors member

Exact same story for me. Thinking of upgrading to iPad 4th generation during Black Friday (Thanksgiving) discounts.

Although now I'm wondering whether to keep my iPad 1st generation as a collectible (60%) or sell it (40%).

It still works but wouldn't hurt to get retina and a more fluid experience I'm used to with using Apple products. I feel this one has sentimental value.

12. fiddlestyx macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I have a 1st gen iPad and am planning on upgrading to the 4th gen iPad; the lag on the 1st gen is getting old.

I too am trying to decide what to do with my 1st gen. I'd feel have guilty giving it to the gf as I complain about how slow it all all the time. Might keep it so I can have an I pad set up on each side for my monitor, heh.

13. Bokes macrumors 6502

My guess is many are selling their v3's for the mini not the v4.
    Others who still want a slightly large size will most likely sit tight until we see the thinner/lighter v5 in March.

Yup- IMO- we will see a complete redesign sooner than later.

14. drjsway macrumors 6502a

It is clear that the iPad was updated solely to include the new connector. it makes no sense that the most expensive iPad would ship with an outdated connector. They threw in the A6X because the chip was ready and it'll make it more competitive for the holidays.

I don't know if iPad 5 will come as early as March but that is clearly the one to wait for. They haven't updated the design since iPad 2 (except make it thicker) so iPad has to be a complete redesign. I'm expecting it to be much thinner, lighter, with smaller bezels on the side (similar to the mini).

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

You are so right. It won't be next March.

Apple will drag it out another month and release iPad 5 in April 2013 to at least give iPad 6 plus months being the top iPad.

I think Apple did not have an A6 chip ready for iPad 3. That's why they used the A5X chip.

Same thing with iPhone 4S. Apple really wanted a Sept 2011 release but the device wasn't ready.

There are many factors for apple releasing a slightly updated iPad 4. Competition, A6 not ready in March, pushing new lightning connecting are the most obvious reasons

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I'm betting on Fall refresh now for all iOS devices.

17. hkfan24 macrumors regular

I've never seen someone routing for an Apple update to fail so badly until you. Give it up already.

18. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Same here, any guesses on this years Black Friday discounts?

19. rh1 macrumors member

Black Friday will land on Friday November 23rd, about three weeks after iPad's become available. I'm hoping to see again a £30 drop on the iPad 4th generation iPad. That's enough to calm my urge of pre-ordering one now.

Only concern is there will probably be backorders which might mean I might only get my hands on one by December which still doesn't bother me. :cool:

In the event they don't drop the prices i'll just get one off Educational pricing. :rolleyes:

20. cube macrumors G5

I hope it will come out by April as it is unacceptable that there is not a version with 128GB yet.

21. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I think the days of big releases is over and unless apple does a huge change we will be seeing incremental releases of not only the iPads but the iPhone as well. :rolleyes:

I know many will not agree but we are kinda hitting the technology ceiling and there is just so much they can do.

22. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

I think with the iPad, Apple is trying to get away from these big numbered releases and trying to treat it more like a Mac in terms of updates.

Whereas with the iPhone we will still likely see big numbered releases (ie. iPhone 5, iPhone 6, etc.), I think the iPad lost it's number for this exact reason.

23. nfl46 macrumors 603

No new iPad in March. I guess you what Apple to mess over 4th generation iPad buyers as well? We all knew the 4th gen iPad will be a spec upgrade anyway. I don't think they would pull that short release with the next iPhone because people are on contracts. At the end of the day, Apple wins. Most they don't buy a 4th gen will pick up a Mini. iPad sales are ALL iPad device models, not separate for each model.

24. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I bought the new MacBook on launch day in October 2008.

A new version with faster processor and an SD card slot came out in March 2009.

25. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

No. Most people do not follow Apples release schedule like us here. They simply walk in and say I want an iPad. Most wont know the difference between a 3 and 4th gen.