Will 500mb Data be enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abeld61014, Nov 21, 2011.

1. abeld61014 macrumors member

I understand this is one of the most vague and difficult questions to answer ever but i am getting an iphone 4s through my company and data is capped to this amount which i am told i am not really going to go over.

Honestly i dont download or tend to watch youtube videos on my phone
    I use Wi-Fi for most of the day anyway
    I only need it to update my E-mails and check social networking throughout the day

And if you guys have any tips/apps for me to download to monitor and keep my usage down. I currently have a desire hd (TERRIBLE) but i can easily switch internet off when i dont need it which is helpful, im sure the iphone will have a similar option ?

Thanks guys :)

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah it's "enough" but that is if you are vigilant about your usage under 3G. I think you'll be fine.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Here in Denmark the minimum is 200MB so you should be fine with 500 unless you are a really heavy 3g user.

4. hamlin macrumors regular

I have a 5 gig plan here in canada. with voice and unlimited texting it costs me 50$ a month. 500mb is enough if you just plan to browse the net. If you plan to download apps/watch youtube then no, it's not enough

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm sat at 2.9gb/47mb since 7 days ago lmao

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just be sure to get an app for whatever your carrier is so you can monitor your data usage for each billing cycle. (Be aware that these apps often lag behind a day or so. So don't go right up to 499 MB.)

And watch to make sure you're getting on Wifi whenever you can and save any Youtube moments for wifi times.

But yeah, you can probably make it work out without too much trouble. I usually use 3 GB per month, but IF I had wifi at work and I was more careful with when I watch videos I'm pretty sure I could hit 500 MB if I had to. I tend to watch a lot of Netflix on 3G...if I cut that out everything else wouldn't be a big problem.

7. abeld61014 thread starter macrumors member

I understand how charges can be run up so quickly, but if i want to download apps, and videos etc i can easily do this through use of the wi-fi at work and at home, its very rare that i need the use of 3G although i would like my E-mails to update constantly and check my social networking etc when i am out and about, thats about it really.

Phone bills make it so difficult to see how much data you have used on previous bills.

8. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Sounds to me like you'll be fine. You'll probably find after the first few weeks you're app downloading will slow down as you have most of the apps you need/want.

Also any app over 20mb, the app store will force you to go on to wifi

9. ^.^ macrumors newbie

I just checked *data#

I am ususally connected to wifi but somehow managed to use 260mb this month, I'd go for unlimited, but i'm grandfathered in.

10. drkash macrumors regular

I'm on Orange UK with 500mb limit. I have 2 email accounts on push, receiving 10-15 emails daily. Use Google maps every day or two, browse the net now and then and my average usage is 250-300mb. I download apps via wifi. If you're on Orange UK you can download their app which tells you the usage

11. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

It's definitely more than it sounds like if you just do the things you described. I use wifi at home all the time but none during the day. I browse email mostly and a little internet. I use a computer during the day. In 4 years I have never gone over 600mb and I have a grandfathered unlimited plan.