Will 5S scuff?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinedoc77, Sep 13, 2013.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I have a 5 that literally the second it came out of the box was put into a thin shell/case. It doesn't offer much protection against drops, but I couldn't see how my phone could get scuffed. Well fast forward about 3 months and I have 3 very small "scuffs", they are really more like chips which bridge both the chamfered black gloss edge, and the flat black backing. They are pretty small, but since they are raw aluminum they catch the eye very easily. How they got there is a mystery, but anyway that's not what this thread is about.

Is there any information about the 5S and if they have refined the process to avoid damage to the finish as easily? I'm curious as I'm still on the fence about upgrading and if the finish wasn't an issue it might push me into upgrading. I miss my 4/4s with the glass back, I still have one in my bedside drawer and it is pristine, and I used it for years with no cover at all.

2. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

This is one of the reasons why I was happy holding into he 4S for another year. I've seen people claim he process is different and it won't scuff but I haven't heard anything official to back this claims up.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unlike the 5s (or the 5), the iPhone 5C is plastic so the odds of the paint coming off are slim, given that the color runs all the way through the phone.

4. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Pretty sure that no one here has the slightest clue. No one has even held a 5S in their hands. If you are that worried, just wait a month after they are released & surf these forums. If there are scratching & scuffing issues, they will get posted.

5. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

That's definitely an advantage. If the 5C wasn't substantially thicker than the 5/5s I think I might opt for a black one, but I rather like the size of the 5.

What steams me is that I got these scuffs/chips with a cover on, I just can't fathom how that would happen.

6. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I had the black iP5 on launch day, and the thing scuffed ridiculously.

Swapped it for a white one, and that has held up really well, only one little dink on a chamfered edge.

People won't admit it on here, but the black one must have had clear design flaws, and that's why it doesn't exist anymore.

I would have thought the 5S would be like my white iP5 and be quite robust.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The Space Grey and White iPhone 5s are anodized, as the color of the metal is the metal itself, rather than being anodized on there like with the black iPhone 5.

I assume that this is also the case with Gold iPhone 5S, but I can't be for sure.

8. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

A black iphone 5c...the great idea that Apple never made.

9. toxic macrumors 68000

I have the sneaking suspicion Apple changed the black iPhone anodization because they were having too many problems with slate.

I think you intended to say the gray and white phones aren't anodized...they are. anodizing is a method of hardening aluminum. it can be clear or colored.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Absolutely.

Still the same aluminum. Coke cans scuff, too.

11. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

REALLY?!?!? I admit I didn't pay very close attention to whatever rainbow colors the 5C had, but I never imagined they would not make a black one. Wow.

----------

That's possible. I know when I had a show motorcycle it was all blacked out, and I went with anodizing over powdercoating quite often because powdercoat was much too thick. But my shops always had a difficult time finding a nice dark black, and forget about it if I wanted gloss, the best they had were very dark greys. This is years ago so I have no idea if the anodizing process has changed.

For clear stuff I used to use ceramic clear coating, from what I understood it was more durable than anodizing. I used it on a lot of exposed aluminum parts to make them shinier and keep them from oxidizing.

12. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

Hopefully Apple addressed this issue in the new 5s

13. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I imagine it will be the same as the 5.

I have a black 5, no case, no screen protector. Front glass might have some tiny thin scratches that you have to use the exact right angle to see. Back and edges are a different store.

Edges are almost all worn to silver. Back glass is scratched to crap (the top and bottom antenna covers). The back aluminum has a few marks, nothing major and all are very light. The back also has a nasty dent from one of the many... MANY times I dropped it.

Top button for putting it into sleep mode requires me to press the phone against a flat solid surface and rock it back and forth.

Never bothered with covers as I have AC+ on it. Never used it though. The sleep button is the only thing making me consider using it.

I plan on getting the 5S solely for the fingerprint reader. Same color (gray/black/whatever they wish to call it), no protection again.

14. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I have had it confirmed that the iPhone 5s will absolutely NOT scuff. Guaranteed.

/s

15. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

When people get their phones then we will be able to tell you the answer :D

16. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Probably earlier than that, scuffgate started the evening before IIRC. An employee at one of the stores was playing with a black 5 and they noticed small scuffs appearing in the black. I had a white 5 for a few months, held up really well. I like the look of the black better, but I don't know if I trust that they fixed the issue. The fact that they didn't make the 'black' 5s the same black as the 5 gives me some hope. Pastel black, as Spinal Tap would say :D