Will 7.1 fix all of the problems with autocorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Don't bother replying "what problems", it's significantly worse than iOS 6>

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
since according to your rules we are not allowed to ask "what problems" i will say that other than occasionally wanting to entirely change certain words to other words it finds arbitrarily more suitable, i find the autocorrect has gotten far better in the last few years. i used to have it turned off, back in iPhone 3g days, but no longer find it such a nuisance to that point.

by the way, you shouldn't make such sweeping arguments and demands, while also expecting internet people to not only agree with you but to contribute their time in answering your questions.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Don't bother replying "what problems", it's significantly worse than iOS 6>
Don't bother creating threads directly related to other threads you've created. How many autocorrect threads do you need?

Also, I don't have autocorrect problems. So, what problems?

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
additionally, i have learned through experience that autocorrect is one of those things that seems to constantly evolve. i would imagine even if the day comes that you are fully pleased with its functionality, it will eventually be tweaked in the opposite direction once again.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
since according to your rules we are not allowed to ask "what problems" i will say that other than occasionally wanting to entirely change certain words to other words it finds arbitrarily more suitable, i find the autocorrect has gotten far better in the last few years. i used to have it turned off, back in iPhone 3g days, but no longer find it such a nuisance to that point.

by the way, you shouldn't make such sweeping arguments and demands, while also expecting internet people to not only agree with you but to contribute their time in answering your questions.
I'm sorry, but I am 100% positive it is objectively worse in 7.04 than it was in 5.01 which I just switched from. I am CONSTANTLY manually correcting words that it picked up before automatically. It's not a sweeping argument and I'm not making demands I just know when something is wrong and see no reason in arguing with someone who doesn't.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It learns a typo far too quickly. I type 'theyre' and it changes it to 'tyhrere'. Then I deleted it, and it does it again! All because I once typed tyhrere once accidentally overrode the autocorrect popup.

It's not as quick to unlearn these typos.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
additionally, i have learned through experience that autocorrect is one of those things that seems to constantly evolve. i would imagine even if the day comes that you are fully pleased with its functionality, it will eventually be tweaked in the opposite direction once again.
Why would they do that?? That's devolving not evolving.

----------

It learns a typo far too quickly. I type 'theyre' and it changes it to 'tyhrere'. Then I deleted it, and it does it again! All because I once typed tyhrere once accidentally overrode the autocorrect popup.

It's not as quick to unlearn these typos.
Agree, although it's always done that. It might be worse now in regard to unlearning typos but my biggest issue is what it doesn't recognize.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
My biggest gripe is when autocorrect tries to anticipate what you want to type and comes up with 2 words that have nothing to do with the 1 original misspelled word. Sorry, can't think of an example.

I try to type 'is' and it suggests 'I'd.' Not very helpful.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
No YOUR problems will not go away with 7.1
None of the problems YOU have with iOS will go away until you get rid of it and move on.
They're not just MY problems, as evidenced in the other thread about autocorrect and many of the responses here. Autocorrect has gotten objectively worse. I shouldn't have to make do with an inferior system (Android) just because Apple is careless and sloppy.

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
They're not just MY problems, as evidenced in the other thread about autocorrect. Autocorrect has gotten objectively worse. I shouldn't have to make do with an inferior system (Android) just because Apple is careless and sloppy.
EXACTLY. What is the point of this Thread? All you do is make threads every day based on existing threads. What the heck do you want from this forum exactly?

Silverrune

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
They're not just MY problems, as evidenced in the other thread about autocorrect. Autocorrect has gotten objectively worse. I shouldn't have to make do with an inferior system (Android) just because Apple is careless and sloppy.
I don't have any problems. It sounds unnecessary for such a mundane issue. If you don't like the way it corrects your typing just turn it off entirely.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
EXACTLY. What is the point of this Thread? All you do is make threads every day based on existing threads. What the heck do you want from this forum exactly?
No I don't. I'm asking a perfectly reasonable question, if this major update will fix a major problem.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
Tonbridge, UK
You see I tried to answer this diplomatically, but seeing as pretty much everyone else seems to agree...

I have seen no issues in iOS7 with autocorrect more than iOS6 anyway. I feel a great deal of the "issues" people are having with iOS7 in general are nocebos or rose-tinting of the "good old days" of iOS6.

That being said, an almost fair way of testing this would be to reset 2 devices, one running iOS6 and the other iOS7 and type the same passage of text.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
No I don't. I'm asking a perfectly reasonable question, if this major update will fix a major problem.
Major problem? :rolleyes:

This minor nuisance will most likely be fixed in iOS 8. :cool:

You know what's a major problem? the SSL security hole that just got plugged with 7.0.6

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Autocorrect is one of if not the most important feature on a smartphone.

----------

See above.
You think autocorrect is the most important feature of a smartphone? More important that the phone, messaging, GPS, internet, weather, email, camera, etc??

This thread is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.