Will 720p Movies look better on the 17" 1920 x 1200 MBP than the 13" 1280 x 800?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by The Final Cut, May 9, 2010.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I have a lot of HD movies, only a handful in true 1080p, will movies look better on the 17" model? I ask because I heard a theory that you need a 42"+ screen to notice difference, but I was wondering if laptop monitors were a different story...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd be more concerned about the viewing distance than scaling.

3. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I doubt you'd notice much. Yeah you'll see more on the 17" due to the screen real estate, but really I wouldn't make purchasing decision on that HD factor.

In short don't sweat the screen size.

4. xStep macrumors 68000

The theory you refer to is for televisions being watched at reasonable viewing distance. It is said, that for two HD TVs of identical size, where one is a native 720p set and the other is a native 1080P set, that you can not tell the difference of image quality given, say, a 1080p movie input source.

I'm not sure how that would translate to a laptop screen where you are at most 2.5 feet away from it when interacting with it.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

On my 13", which can fully display 720p video, hi-def videos look...uh...how to put this...

[​IMG]

Yeah, I have problems expressing myself without the help of annotated images. Carrying a case of LULKatz on foam-core is awkward, though therapeutic.

At any rate, the video is STUNNING! Not only that, but the card can pull excellent frames playing full 1080p video on a large external display at full 1080p as well.

Really, every current Apple portable has a stunning display, and your eyes will throb in pleasure at the first site of T2 Judgement Day in its high-contrast and excellent backlight glory.

Note: The black rim around the display adds to the effect, when viewing from the notebook itself. To fully appreciate it, you wouldn't be happy with a White MacBook or a Matte MacBook Pro. :p Just an opinion, really.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think it'll look better on the larger screen, because the screen is larger. The number of pixels won't matter, but just as you prefer watching a movie in the theater over a small 10" TV set, you'll enjoy the same quality movie on a larger display.

7. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I've owned a MacBook and my current machine is a 17 MBP Unibody; and have done a fair amount of viewing of videos on both.

720 lines is 720 lines, upscaling it to a bigger screen will not magically make the image appear better. It will, obviously, make for a larger image which may be preferred. When given the choice, I'd watch a video on my 17 inch, because I can farther away to see it, the screen is brighter, and the colors are better.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

720p = 1280 x 720 pixels. So the picture quality will be best on the 13" where there is no scaling involved. On the other hand, 17 inch is bigger than 13 inch by four inches. For movies, I prefer the bigger picture. For carrying around, the 13 inch is nicer. On the other hand, get the right adapter and plug it into your TV.

9. xStep macrumors 68000

That logic applies to all cases where no scaling is involved.