Will a 40" Plasma work as a monitor for games?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by bruceleeroy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. bruceleeroy macrumors member

Hey guys I was wondering how my 40" Plasma would look if I connected my Mac Pro to it with a DVI to HDMI cable. I mostly play starcraft and such would it look good or janky?

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

If it is 1080p (i would assume so at that size) it will look good for Starcraft. I have a 32" 720p LCD i used for NFS Shift a while ago and it worked out really well because i could turn up AA and stuff since the resolution was fairly low.

Idk how Starcraft works, can you see more of the map with a higher resolution?

3. bruceleeroy thread starter macrumors member

I don't believe it affects the map size just the overall resolution and crispness. I was going to put it on my desk but im not sure if sitting a foot away from a 40" plasma is great for my eyes or optimal viewing.

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

If you put it on your desk and sit close to it you'll have a far far better experience with a 20-24" monitor. You'll see the same because of the similar resolution, but much more crisp and clean. Especially in sc2 a screen that big might actually be a disadvantage, because you constantly have to see what's going on. Minimap, building tab, resources, micro, etc. Sitting close to a 40" screen will require you to move your head much more.

Nope, since this would be pretty unfair. Someone playing on a 13" mbp would have no chance against someone on a 30" screen.

5. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

It will be terrible. You'll definitely get a headache.

If you want to sit back on your couch, however, it'll look just fine.

6. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

As long as your video card can support the resolution, you're golden. But you'd definitely need to sit a little further away. I have a 28" and any bigger I'd have to move the monitor back.

7. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Wouldn't you get screen burn in with a plasma? I haven't used one but I have read articles discussing burn in when gaming. There are elements that are statically displayed such as numbers, tool bars, etc, that can do a really good job of ruining a nice display. Do you have a LCD you could use instead?

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

A 40" on a desk??? No way you would be able to use that for more than a few days before you get neck or eye trouble. :eek:

9. pionata macrumors 6502

Your going to kill your vision unless your playing 5-6 feet away.

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

That was a problem with plasmas made in the 14th century. Today's plasmas are fine unless you are outright abusive (i.e. leave it on a news channel with a scrolling ticker for a week straight).

I have a 2009 plasma and I do Xbox 360, PS3, 4:3 TV, 16:9 TV, and a Windows HTPC all hooked up. Never a problem with image retention, even when watching 4:3 content for hours.

11. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I wonder if all the late model plasmas are similar to yours? I would hate to ruin the OP's screen if his is an older plasma.

12. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

My 2008 42" 720p Samsung plasma has been great for gaming. Never had problems with burn-in or any of that other stuff.

13. Plain Lazy macrumors newbie

The biggest problem I can think of, other than sitting too close, would be potential HDMI processing lag.

Some TV's have a specific game mode to reduce post-processing and reduce this.

14. marksteven03 macrumors newbie

It would be a great experience. You can enjoy gaming and other on-line stuff from your larger screen.

15. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

If you sit far from it like you were watching TV, it would prolly look good.
    Usually a 40" computer monitor would be like 2000p or whatever...and cost an arm and a leg to buy.

The other thing to think of is the response. Many "gaming monitors" have like a 2 ms response (vs. 5 ms) so it eliminates blur with fast moving stuff.

16. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Who cares. By the time you "burn" it, it's time to get a new OLED roll-up wall blanket TV. It's just marketing propaganda to sell LCD's.

It's similar to how NiCD batteries have "memory" so you should buy the more expensive NiMH. But you're not using it in a satelite where it goes through exactly 12 hours of light and dark phases where they found this "memory" to have a noticable effect. Not even NiMH (nor LiION or LiPoly) lasts forever anyway. In a couple of years it's practically unusable because they all loose max charge.