Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledyl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
USA
I'm thinking of purchasing the newest Mac Mini from Apple.com. I wish to purchase one that has about 2 GB ram, 2.x GHZ, 120 GB hard drive, etc. for about $700. I'm not sure how large the graphics card is.... I do average social stuff such as email and IM. I also do lots of music mixing, video editing, Xcode development, and graphics design as well as some gaming. (Halo, Starcraft, etc.) Currently I have an iMac G4 with 756 MB ram, 800 MHZ processor, 40 GB hard drive and a 32 mb graphics card. Its just not good enough!! Do you think the Mac Mini will do the job?

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I'm thinking of purchasing the newest Mac Mini from Apple.com. I wish to purchase one that has about 2 GB ram, 2.x GHZ, 120 GB hard drive, etc. for about $700. I'm not sure how large the graphics card is.... I do average social stuff such as email and IM. I also do lots of music mixing, video editing, Xcode development, and graphics design as well as some gaming. (Halo, Starcraft, etc.) Currently I have an iMac G4 with 756 MB ram, 800 MHZ processor, 40 GB hard drive and a 32 mb graphics card. Its just not good enough!! Do you think the Mac Mini will do the job?

The mini will be light years better than what you have. So if you're getting by now, you should have no problem.

Wow, aren't you the trooper? You've done a lot with a little, you deserve some hardware.

Yes, the new Minis will do the job for pretty much any ordinary task.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The Mini will be great for you and so much better than what you have, as stated above. I don't think you can go wrong there.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
The Mac Mini is now up to par with the rest of the Apple line. It is very capable now. I guess you can say it is a 13in/15in Macbook Pro just without the 9600M like in the 15in and the other obvious things (monitor,keyboard, mouse.)

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
As long as you don't plan on playing lots of new games the mini will be just perfect for you.

MacKiddyWiddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
the mini will be fine
signature_SmileyFace.jpg
enough said

appledyl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
USA
Thanks. I think it will work as well.

One more question: What kind of display should I purchase? I do NOT want to purchase the expensive new apple ones. Is there an old apple flat screen display that is pretty cheap, yet still good quality

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Maybe you can find a cheap deal on the Apple 20" Cinema Display on Craigslist or eBay. Other than that, I recommend Dell (crappy customer service though) or HP monitors.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Yes, get the lowest end Mini, and upgrade the ram to 4Gb yourself. you will save a lot of money doing so and its a must to have 4Gb ram in the Mini imo..

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
for display, you can look at the refurb LED display at the apple online store...its only $599:eek:

or you can buy a dell monitor...they sell for ~$300...they are pretty good too...

peace

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Honestly, if you don't have a monitor or keyboard, or mouse, consider the low end iMAc as well, lots more power, accessories and everything, plus a great LED screen for only a few hundred more.

I think it would actually be prefect for you, based on your needs/wants

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
Thanks. I think it will work as well.

One more question: What kind of display should I purchase? I do NOT want to purchase the expensive new apple ones. Is there an old apple flat screen display that is pretty cheap, yet still good quality

Keep an eye on fatwallet's hot deals. You can find good deals for 22"-24" monitors for $100-$200. I believe Costco has a deal on a 24", but it could be expired.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
The Mac Mini is now up to par with the rest of the Apple line. It is very capable now. I guess you can say it is a 13in/15in Macbook Pro just without the 9600M like in the 15in and the other obvious things (monitor,keyboard, mouse.)

You could just say the mini is a 13" mbp without the monitor and screen and expandability to 8gb of ram(at least officially, I know there's been a thread on it been able to go to 8gb)

ewytt

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Does anybody think the Mini will work for print graphic design (mostly vectors and some high res images - no billboards) and editing RAW Nikon D80 files?

Are any designer considering this machine? Wish it could run more ram.

appledyl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
USA
are the oldschool iMac G3 monitors any good??? They are quite skinny and gorgeous looking! heehee are they>????

ForkDolphin

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
If you need a monitor you should consider picking up the previous generation 20inch imac in the Apple refurb store. Just got one for $850 and I love it. Faster processor than the high end mini, and similar specs all around. Really happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.