Will a Macbook Pro work well with large images in Photoshop and games like GTA4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zookerman, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Zookerman macrumors newbie

Im an artist and a gamer who hates loosing his artwork due to viruses.
    Im wondering if Photoshop CS4 on a mac will be able to work with very large images without any lag when using large brushes.(By this I mean working with a 5000 x 5000 pixel canvas and using a 500 size brush )
    If you own a 15 inch macbook pro and photoshop cs4 please test this out for me. Include your specs too.

I also want to be able to play games on the graphical level of GTA4 and run them at around 30fps on decent settings. (through bootcamp or vmware of course)

I might just buy a gaming laptop if the macbook pro isnt good enough for large images in photoshop

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

GTA4 runs like crap on anything short of a Quad Core and Extremely High End graphics.

For CS4, it should be able to handle 5k x 5k images without much issues. I work with 3k x 2k images on a MacBook Air and it's do-able. For this, you might want to look into a faster CPU because GPU won't matter much in terms of rendering for Photoshop.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Itll work great but also depends on what type of brushes you use.

For photoshop its great but if you use Corel Painter you may get a little bit of lag with canvas and brush sizes that size especially if advanced ghost brush is turned on.

4. zbasarab macrumors member

You are incorrect. GTA4 runs great on any PC that you buy that's $1200 or more. You do not need a quad core, what you need is a pretty descent gfx card.

With that said, GTA4 will not play well on any macbook pro...period....the gfx cards are pretty mediocre for gaming.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, it does not. My friend has C2D E8600 @ 4GHz and ATI 4890 but he can't even run it at the highest settings but my other friend with AMD Phenom II x4 @ 2.8GHz and ATI 4870 runs it at the highest settings available.

Money DOES NOT affect on performance. You can spend 2000$ on piece of crap if you want to. Okay, for 500$ you can get good gaming PC but if you want to run GTA IV at highest settings, you need quad-core and ultimate GPU to run it smoothly

6. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Nonsense! GTA4's most important need is 3 cores. The PC version is a quick port of the console one and that was designed for 3 cores. As such it runs badly on dual core machines. You can run it but a cheap 4 core will run it a lot better than an expensive dual core.

And TBH all you need is an average gfx card for it unless you want is really massive. (Though you and I might differ on what you call an average gfx card!)

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

stop deviating from the point [​IMG] ... what i say is by the time you've got your photoshop running (and it will very well on the macbook pro, you'll realise you dont need to play games, and as for the mbp not having amazing gaming graphics, that is true, but if you just dont play on the highest settings available you will be fine