Will a PCI video card work in an G4 dual processor AGP Gigabite Ethernet mac??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cozmo, Jan 19, 2008.

1. cozmo macrumors newbie

I have a G4 mac - Gigabite Ethernet with dual 1.3 gig processors, 1.5 gigs of ram & an AGP slot. I currently have an ATI Radeon 8500 video card in the AGP slot which is a dual card. I need a 3rd monitor for my setup. My question is:
    Is there any PCI video card that will work in my machine? I record audio, so do not need the graphic power of some of these cards. 64mb or less will work. The machine originally came with Dual 500mhz processors, but I upgraded a couple of years back to dual 1.3gb. I have asked many people & buisness's, but either don't get an answer or contratdicting answers. Need help!!:eek:
    If this is not possible, is there anyway I can view a 3rd monitor with some other device?
    thanks
    cozmo

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i don't know if the g4s were able to run more then 2 monitors. i think they can only run video card, either in the AGP slot or a PCI slot. you can get a cheap $20 or so mac pci card from an older mac and test it yourself?

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm fairly certain that this will work, because I had nearly that exact machine (single processor Gigabit E-net G4) with an AGP and PCI video card in it.

The PCI card was an ANCIENT Rage Pro 4MB card (the person who sold it to me was, I assume, just using the monitor it drove for palettes or something), but if that worked newer ones should as well.

5. cozmo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replys

In order to try it, I will probably have to get the ATI 9200 as I am running OS 9.2.2. The cheapest one I have found so far is around $80.00 on ebay, brand new in the box. I believe they are 128mb. I have not found too many small rage cards & none work on os9.2.2. I would assume that I could download drivers etc. to make them work though?
    Thanks for the replys, I appreciate.:)

6. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Yes, a PCI video card will work if it is a Mac version (PC cards will not work). I recommend a used ATI Radeon 7000 if you are on a budget. It is a 32mb card and performs fine for normal uses. It can be had fairly cheaply on ebay.