Will adapter be warm even if not charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vivacious, Aug 5, 2011.

1. vivacious macrumors newbie

Sorry for such an obtuse title for my post (and apologies if posted in the wrong area), but I am having some difficulties with my MBP 1,1. I installed a new HD with a little difficulty a week ago, and I noticed the magsafe adapter was acting funny (I have one of the new ones, the L shape). It wasn't charging. Checked outlet, reset SMC and PRAM. When I would move the cord it sometimes would come back on, sometimes not. At one time it seemd VERY hot underneath the battery charging area. :confused:

Now it's not coming back at all. I don't know if it is a logic board problem, but the fact that when I moved the cord around it started to charge again made me think it was an adapter problem. I noticed the white box of the adapter is not warm to the touch at all. Is that a sign that it's an adapter problem ? Right now I don't have any way of testing it with another adapter. :(

Any ideas are appreciated! Thank you!

2. Jexta macrumors member

Hrm, it sounds like your mag safe adapter may be faulty. Obviously you will need to isolate this by testing with either another MBP or another mag safe adapter.

There should be some heat generated by the pass through current, though if the mag safe isn't detecting a machine to charge, it won't be passing any current through and the temperature will remain cool.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 to above - It sounds like the adapter is starting to go. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's relatively new, Apple might replace it for you if you take it into the store. (Do standalone peripherals have a warranty with Apple?)

4. vivacious thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input. Sorry to reply so late, but I just wanted to give the "end of the story".

Best Buy was nice enough to let me test on one of their store demo adapters and it turned out to be the magsafe adapter. The guy told me that the adapters typically have a 1 yr warranty. I called the Apple store to confirm this. You don't even need the box apparently as long as you bring in the dead adapter. Woot!