Will alleged iPod nano screen issues hurt Apple's sales?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
All I know is that nothing has touched my nano's screen except a soft eyeglasses cloth (the kind that DOESN'T scratch my eyeglasses), and my screen has a number of hairline scratches on it that are only visible in the right light.

As I've said before, I would pay a premium for an iPod screen that's made of the same crystal material as my TAG Heuer's watchface. 6.5 years old, and still not a scratch on it.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Did the reputation of iPod battery life hinder iPod sales?

I doubt whether the easy-scratch screen will do either. Once this blows over through the media it will soon be forgotten.

People have short memories.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Ugh, The Times had a report on the iPod Nano's screen, and also listed other 'failures' such as the Cube. Apple's not looking good in the press' eyes, but I suppose they're all working on Windoze :confused:

::20ROGERSC::

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Didn't someone run the nano over with a Volkswagen? I haven't received my nano yet so I can't really say for sure, but if something looks like it's easy to break, then take better care of it.

Fishes,
narco.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
narco said:
Didn't someone run the nano over with a Volkswagen? I haven't received my nano yet so I can't really say for sure, but if something looks like it's easy to break, then take better care of it.

Fishes,
narco.
I think the problem is that while the "function" part of the unit is very durable, the "form" part ain't. If you can beat the crap out of it and it still plays, that's great... but we also want it to look good for longer than 10 seconds after you take it out of the box.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
This seems more like a non-isue. People have complained about scratches since the dawn of the ipod or any other shiny product like the Shuffle or iBook or iPod Photo notes on scratching. People complained about scratching their Newton screens.

Like Swatch, they should encourage all users to pick up some form of protection, or heavens forbid, include one form of protection with the product. Something like the The Invisible Shield. For me, it's going to be the Nano Grass by Speck because I am a weirdo. What torques me more is the lack of the remote port for the Nano. That blocks use of some basic accessories.

Attachments

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
Yes! It will hurt sales - unlike the battery issues - 'cause when I show my buddy my nano- if it looks like junk, he will think it's junk. On the same note, he will not know if my battery only gets 15 minutes to a charge. I have hope that Aple will include a protective plastic thing with future nanos.

birdherder

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2003
austin, tx
My nano is just as susceptible to scratches as my full sized iPods are. They look gorgeous right out of the box when there's that "don't steal music" covering on it. After that, it is all down hill. I've given up on keeping it looking as pristine as it did when I bought it. I even bought nano tubes since I foresee this thing getting a bit banged up. Unfortunately, the nano tubes are on 4-6 week lead time.

If Apple made iPods with durable scratch resistant plastic, it wouldn't look as nice.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Looks like most of the press is regurgitating this one. IMO it will hurt sales after those initial impulse buys...Big picture is how many sold versus how many complaints, and would you buy another iPod again? There appear to be two issues, screen scratches which can be resolved by better material specification, but the biggy for me...more strength...ouch. If these things are flexing and distorting just because they are in your trouser pocket, Apple have got a big problem. Class action definitely coming.

It seems Apple rushed the Nano out the door without too much real world testing, big mistake, but whose fault was it?

BTW. I haven't got a Nano yet (and to be honest I'm passing on getting one now), and although my iPod shuffle is well scratched and battered, I haven't snapped it yet...anybody know if the shuffle was getting panned on launch regarding its' durability?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I had been thinking about buying a nano, but I'm definitely not going to until they've fixed this apparent problem (or I'm convinced that it's not really a problem), so they've potentially lost at least one sale.

jydesign

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2003
That 1/10 of 1 per cent that was really easy to blemish was actually a stealth market test of a new SE product: The "iPod Scratch - for hip hop lovers". Perhaps if they preloaded these with Herbie Hancock's 'Rockit' the intention would've been clearer...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
24C said:
It seems Apple rushed the Nano out the door without too much real world testing, big mistake, but whose fault was it?
Apple used early adopters as beta testers. Financially, it makes sense I guess. It happened with the mini as well. Early units suffered from scratchy noise after a few weeks of use. Apple downplayed the problems and instituted a fix, silently of course. They refunded or exchanged faulty units and chalked it up as an expense of doing business.

I think the nano is the same. They'll quietly use new, harder materials for the plastic, or even change suppliers till the problem is minimized. Them saying they used the same material as the 4G iPods is almost fraudulent. Can't believe everything they say, even from a company as perceived as trustworthy as Apple.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
What was that really strectchy plastic film you could put on your iPod to protect it from scratches. I was going to suggest something like that because I hear it works great against minor scrapes which accounts for most scratches.

It was like $20 for film but it was industructable. Can't for the life of me remember the name.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
I use one of those PDA protector screens for my ipod.. works great .. I guess for the nano you would have to cut that film screen so it fits on the nano's screen. A little work, but worth it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
narco said:
I looked at some of those cracked nano's on that dude's website -- very scary!

http://homepage.mac.com/matthewdotcom/flaw/

Fishes,
narco.
The guy who owns that site and flawedmusicplayer.com is a bit fishy. He was a contract employee/consultant to Microsoft. He claims to have first contacted Apple on 9/20 and put the site up on 9/21. He registered the Yahoo ID ipodnanoflaw on 9/14.