Carrier Will an Apple Retail Store sell me a Verizon iPhone 7 on launch day if I don't have Verizon service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Zarniwoop, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Jun 9, 2005
    I believe the answer is no.

It seems I can't pre-order one ahead of time. The Apple Online Store doesn't allow ordering any Verizon iPhone without existing Verizon service.

What if I bring a $50 Verizon 4G SIM Activation Kit with me?
  2. Mr. Zarniwoop thread starter macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Jun 9, 2005
    Well, I'm going to try it.

I have now activated a $30 cheapest-possible Verizon prepaid SIM in my IUP AT&T iPhone 6+. I'll be bringing it with me on Friday morning to my reservation for an IUP Verizon iPhone 7+. We'll see how it goes.

My intent is to get a Verizon phone (with CDMA bands) but keep using on my AT&T account.
  3. cwosigns macrumors 65832

Jul 8, 2008
    I think if you go in and tell them you're buying device only and you'll set up at home you should be fine. I've done that. I have verizon but didn't give them any details.
  4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2013
    Uphill from Downtown
  5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2012
    For Apple Upgrade program you need an active line.
  6. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2008
    In line, they've come around and asked which phone and carrier. I never had to give account details vv at the store if you're buying outright, they don't care.
  7. ikenstein macrumors member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York, NY
    I have AT&T and reserved a Verizon phone through the apple upgrade program. Still not sure if I'm switching to Verizon or T-Mobile, but still...
  8. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

Sep 16, 2013
    The hard part is getting the pre-order reservation on 9/16 for the iPhone model/color/size you want. Supposedly, you're not getting a Jet Black 7+ because it was not possible to reserve that. Your use of IUP with an AT&T iPhone complicates your situation if you're trying to switch to a Verizon iPhone at launch. Worth a shot, but normally the best way in previous years was to lineup early at launch day and buy a device in full to get any carrier iPhone without verification.