Will an Apple technician convert a black iPhone to white if we buy the housing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pez555, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Interesting question that just crossed my mind.

If we are able to obtain complete Apple OEM white housing, could you take it into an Apple store and get one of the technicians to replace the black parts to make it into a white iPhone 4 - but still retain the warranty?

I honestly dont see any reason why they wouldn't - unless they are not official Apple parts, but IF we were able to obtain them, surely they would be able to replace the black parts to make it white?

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

No.

You would not be able to get the parts from Apple directly, so they won't do it.

3. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

Are you being a troll or smoking crack? That is all.

4. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

not smoking crack.

i know where i can obtain the housing, not saying any more.

it is a deadly serious question! why wouldnt they?

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

While replacing the back glass panel with a white one would be SUPER simple, changing the front glass (which has color too) would be a real PITA and the chance of screwing up wouldn't make it worth the trouble (from Apple's POV).

So two reasons they wouldn't:
    1) Too big a risk of damage
    2) They would prefer you just BUY a new white one.

6. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

hmm yea good point, i naturally assumed the technicians would be capable of replacing the screen etc.

7. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Anyone with access to google can find the "housing". Someone I know at work has has a black/white one because they just replaced the back. There are fixit services out there that will do it for you...but Apple will certainly not do it for you. If you dont want to do it yourself it's going to cost quite a bit.

8. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

lol you think the answer was that easy......no. i did not use google, or ebay, or anything online for that matter.

yea i know a few people who have done the black white combo too, it looks cool, but im just trying to figure out the best way to get it fitted by the most experienced possible.

9. iMatt. macrumors 6502

Seeing as it voids the warranty and is thus not covered by Apple, no. The AASP I work for just replaces iPhones if there is any problem rather than perform repairs.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Alternatively...

I wonder if they'd just swap the whole phone for a white one for $200? You know; since that's what it costs to swap a smashed iphone in an apple store.

11. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Who the F cares about Warranty!?! :)

12. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

What? it IS THAT easy. In fact if you used Google you'd likely find a service like ubreakifixit.com that would do it for you. ifixit.com has a wealth of information as well. Surely you can't be dense enough to think that Apple would do this for you. You're a troll and I'm unsubscribing.

13. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

how am i a troll? do you even know what a troll is? is that how easily you people label people these days for asking a legitimate question? come on man.......

for the record, i am located in the UK, so i dont want to go through any US service. There are no services like this over here in the UK. I can obtain the parts through *another method* which i will leave for you to decide.

its no different from Apple repairing a black phone with black parts. The only thing that is different is the colour. Yes i understand that they arent officially available so Apple would most likely be reluctant to provide the service, however i believe you could probably get it done if you know the right people.

14. sonicare macrumors newbie

Ofcourse they will...

Ask them to jailbreak it for you too while they are at it.

15. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

No, because that'd require us to open the phone, which we don't do when were gonna give it back to you. and secondly why do that when we can make you buy a whole new phone if you want that. Shoulda made that decision when you bought the phone, don't expect Apple to be there to make up for your indecision.

16. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

I think the question is why would anyone want to buy a white iphone? black with an aluminum back is whats most gangsta.

17. Sunday Shadows macrumors regular

there are a few sites online that will do it for 250, or 200 if you let them keep the black parts.

18. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

Why WOULD they? Crack

19. jcole31 macrumors regular

I remember someone on here posted that they were told by a genius that it would be possible to buy a white back direct from apple and have a genius install it. You can buy a replacement black back from apple so I don't see why they wouldn't sell you a white back.

The front is obviously more difficult so I can't imagine that working out.

Again, this was just what someone on this forum was told.

20. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

True but Apple still wouldn't do it. You're asking stupid question. If you are afraid of other people doing it then don't do it.

21. LinMac macrumors 65816

The at&t store I bought my iPhone 4 from was offering to jailbreak phones so don't call it too crazy. Keep in mind this was a corporate at&t location not a reseller.

22. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Apple staff will not void the warranty of one of their own products.

Honestly, it's not rocket science.

23. SR2 macrumors regular

You guys going crazy for the white iphone guess what - Nobody cares what color your stupid iphone is.