Will an LTE watch activated in Spain work in France?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by roaming, Oct 21, 2018.

1. roaming macrumors newbie

roaming

If I purchase and activate an Apple Watch 4 in Spain (either with Vodafone or Orange) will the LTE celluar function work when in France (where the carrier is Orange)?

Europe now has free roaming but it is still roaming when going between countries. So when I cross from Spain to France the phone switches carriers.

The information from Apple and the carriers and articles I have read are conflicting.

So, if anyone has purchased an apple watch in Spain and has been able to use or not use the celluar function in France that would be very helpful. Of course if activated in France and used in Spain would be the interesting to know as well.

Gracias, Merci and Thanks

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

It will work without the cellular functionality. Cross country roaming is not supported on eSim. This means as long as your watch is connected to your phone everything will work as usual.

3. roaming thread starter macrumors newbie

roaming

Thanks for the reply.
    I am curious though if anyone has tried to use their watch’s cellular capability when activate in Spain but while in France.

4. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

That does not work you would need to have a local plan and reactivate your watch for the local area - currently roaming of no kind works.