Will an unlocked US 5S work on UK Vodafone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fullfast, Sep 19, 2013.

1. fullfast macrumors member

I am travelling to the US on Saturday and with the currency rate I can get the 5s for almost 200 GBP less...>BUT.....The unlocked model in the US is the A1533 and the website says that the UK model is the A1457...looking at the differences it is the LTE bands that are different.......also if something went wrong with it would apple UK swap it out or would they say sorry take it back to the US

Thanks in advance for the replies

2. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Hi

Sorry not a simple reply.

Vodafone are/will be using 2600 MHz & 800MHz for 4G/LTE in the UK. The US handset supports 800MHz but not 2600 MHz.

So you might not be able to use a US handset for 4G on Vodafone.

Alex

3. fullfast thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply Alex....appreciated......

4. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

To add to the previous comment. It also depends on which bands Voda starts using. While they bought 800mhz spectrum (which the US phone supports) they may not use it straight away. They may use both so the 800mhz reaches the further out places in the UK. But without support for the 2600mhz your only going to get the slower LTE speeds.

Your likely going to save a few quid buying a US model (thats assuming your flying out and not importing. If your importing then when it comes in you will still have to pay VAT and other taxes). But while your saving, your limiting yourself.

5. fullfast thread starter macrumors member

That is exactly what I was scared of.....also resale back in the UK would be affected as well as warranty I would have thought