Will any of the MacBooks get the "Retina Display" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yr Blues, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I feel like holding out on updating my first generation WhiteBook until they do. :eek:

2. menomano macrumors member

3. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

lol one can only wish, but we are a long ways away from getting larger screens with that kind of pixel density.

4. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Is there any reason why they can't manufacture a larger version of what they unveiled?

I bet the "Retina Display" will definitely make it to the iPad, though.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

That would be crazy if the macbook air adopts it.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

No way it will be used on any MBP, too much resolution...

7. Abbe macrumors newbie

Not going to happen, imho.
    First it's technology as mentioned above.
    Second there is the resolution itself. With iPhone's retina display you still have less pixels than the iPad's display so no problem renderinf apps. But on notebook everything would be so small. Of course, OS X is not resolution independent, but imagine even HD video looking ugly on such a display because of interpolation.
    BTW I can't see pixels on my HiRes MBP from normal using distance anyway, so no problem.
    And, BTW again, I work with graphics, and for example when drawing letters in FontLab, the pixels of the display are not precise, but you can never work only with any display's image as there is always the need for a relatively fine laser print. And all the graphic software (Illustrator, FontLab etc.) has limited percentage of zoom. So with this 1680 by 1050 display (slightly above 120 ppi I believe) the image even zoomed at maximum is sometimes nearly too small.

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

Still too big and very doubtful. It would also take an obscene amount of power from the video hardware, considering the power budget, etc.

9. akramer macrumors member

They're not going to get anywhere near 300dpi in a laptop any time soon. The resolution of a 30" monitor (2560x1600) stuffed into a 13" MBP is still only 226dpi. As far as I can tell, Apple isn't interested in furthering any desktop computer technological advances, they're working on their walled garden. I wouldn't hold my breath.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The further away you are, the smaller pixels get.

The 'retina' resolution/PPI would decrease as you get further away.

You use a laptop about 2' away from the screen, the iPhone about 1' away.

So for a laptop to get the 'retina' treatment, it would need about 150 PPI.

Which is (quite conveniently) in a 13" a resolution of 1680x1050.

11. MindlessJD macrumors member

MindlessJD

A very informative post. Interestingly, would 1680x1050 be too small on a 13" screen though as I remember having a 22" monitor with that resolution? Admittedly, I did think that was not high enough and upgraded to a 1920x1080 22" monitor...

12. turugara macrumors regular

Sit far enough and a 50" LCD with 1920x1080 appears perfectly smooth and pixel free.

13. apple.gr macrumors regular

He is totally right! Maybe an IPS panel with lower resolution as the retina has will be much better!