Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
If I choose to buy ANY 802.11b wireless router can I use an AirPort Card With it? See I was thinking of asking for a cheap Wireless router for christmas, amazon has one for only 50 bucks, now if I get that Wireless 802.11b router and an AirPort Card can I surf the internet wirelessly with no troubles? I have an iBook 466mhz DVD SE FireWire 10GB 320mb RAM with an open AirPort card slot. Can this work? I wanna know before I ask for it. :) Thanks

Happy Holidays! :D

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
As long as it's 802.11b, you should be fine. I have a CompUSA (rebranded D-Link) router, but it actually worked better with a G3 PowerBook than my Windows boxes (it's not wireless though). Which one were you looking at? Post the model number(s) and maybe someone will be nice enough to post their experiances with it.

Also, read the Amazon reviews. I find them pretty helpful most of the time.

vitrector

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
yes

I use a maxgate ugate 3300 router/access point (I think it is not available anymore) hooked to my cable modem, and it works great. The beauty of the standard is that it just works. Any 802.11b compliant device should be fine, some are better than others (mainly in tems of ease of setup and customer support). Online reviews at places like amazon and cnet are a good source to turn to for device specific info/reviews.
I also use my powerbook with airport card at the airport for wireless internet access; flawless!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Some people will for some reason tell you never to buy netgear products; as far as I've used them (setting up small networks) they've been great. very cost effective. I've So i'd say go for it, it's at very least a nice way to start a wireless network.

:)
pnw

DeadlyBreakfast

macrumors regular
I own that Netgear router and use it with my iBook. Works great. 802.11b is "universal". Its like TCPIP. OS and hardware dont matter as long as its 802.11b it will work. Be carefull of the lower cost wireless stuff. For $50 you may be looking at an access point not a router. Big difference. Best way to explain it is the access point acts as a replacement for the wire where as the router acts as a replacement for the wire and usually has a few wired ports and some management options( WEP, Mac address assignment for security).Sometimes even a modem for dial up accounts , as is the case with the Air Port base station. Nice if you REALLY have to get that email off to a client and your ISP's lines are down. Good old dial up can save the day. Althouh iBooks have modems so ....well anyway... Ive never bought an access point so I dont know if they are managed or not.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well it was 100 bucks but with the rebates it is 50 bucks. It says Wireless 802.11b Cable/DSL Router. So I supose thats what it is, I already have a router and a hub hooked up to my cable modem. I hope this thing works. I have an AirPort card slot in my iBook, do I need the software for it? The AirPort Software right? I guess I have to use Software Update, and clear some space off my iBook's hard drive.... :) thanks for the replies, now lets hope I get it for Christmas, lol ;) :D

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I have the netgear mr314, good router, works well with my airport card. It also supports appletalk. Very easy set up. Has good encryption features also to prevent people from jumping on your network. Its half the price of an airport base station.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
Well it was 100 bucks but with the rebates it is 50 bucks. It says Wireless 802.11b Cable/DSL Router. So I supose thats what it is, I already have a router and a hub hooked up to my cable modem. I hope this thing works. I have an AirPort card slot in my iBook, do I need the software for it? The AirPort Software right? I guess I have to use Software Update, and clear some space off my iBook's hard drive.... :) thanks for the replies, now lets hope I get it for Christmas, lol ;) :D

No you don't need the airport software, just install the network card then go into network in your system preferences and you can configure it from there. The airport software is really for the base station.

I beleive you can also run the airport setup assistant to set it up, this is how i did it the first time i think. it will walk you through setup.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
What ever wireless router you choose, go to dealmac.com to get the best deal. You can usually get a wireless router for about $60.

Draft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.