Will Apple accept my exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnny2435, Oct 15, 2013.

1. johnny2435, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

johnny2435 macrumors newbie

Picked up a gold 64 about 2 weeks ago. Realized today that I am not going to use anything over 12gbs and I cant justify paying $200 extra for space I wont use. I noticed in the corner there is are 3 indent/scratches the size of a pin maybe? Im not even sure how they got there (maybe my otter box? specs of whatever were in there)

2. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

In my experience, you should be ok. Technically, I don't believe that you are guaranteed though.

3. dazedxar macrumors member

If you bought from Apple, you can exchange within 30 days no questions ask. The problem is that they won't have stock of any Gold.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Only way to know for sure is to take it back.

Also, be aware that you should definitely be planning for future usage as well. 12GB is awfully close to 16GB, leaving little room for expansion. Some of that space is used for lots of "temporary" and "other" items too (like videos or photos taken, SMS, e-mails, downloaded podcasts, items being viewed from dropbox, etc.). So, be sure you're factoring that into your "justification."

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Looks like it was dropped so I don't know. Good luck though.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They're not going to take that back. If you didn't notice that out of the box for 2 weeks... see an ophthalmologist.

8. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

You damaged it. I doubt they'll take it back as that's quite noticeable.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's just cosmetics. You'll be able to return it. They're going to refurbish it with a new case so they couldn't care less.

10. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

idk...that's like me buying a shirt and going out for a night out of town and a hole rips in the shirt..then I go and try to return it and saying the shirt was too big. :rolleyes:

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    Or, purchasing a new four door vehicle, denting the front bumper and returning it because you only need a two door vehicle.

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

In Europe they are not going to take it back, for sure.
    I don't know about USA, where apple stores seem to be much more accommodating ....

----------

Btw that kind of dents are typical of a little drop on soft aluminum ....

13. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

They'll take it back no questions asked . At my local Apple store I exchanged my 64 GB for a 16 GB for the same reason as you ,they didn't even checked my phone at all . Although , my device was in prestine condition they didn't even care ...

14. SWIFTY1293 macrumors newbie

Generally Yes it would have been fine for an exchange for another product in-store.. the fact its damaged is a different story and the only way you will find out is by going and trying.. I wouldn't try to hide it though just be honest.

15. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

They might replace it but you should be ashamed of yourself. No doubt it was damaged by you and you just do not want to admit it. Lots of this these days.

16. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I also think, they colllect the returned phones, without inspecting them closely, since they go for refurbish anyway. Just send it in and see if they refund completteley. If not, they might refund 200$ less ;)

I wouldn't bother if I were you, someday those extra gigs come in handy.

17. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

1. You clearly caused the dents.
    2. Just return it to an Apple store and see how it goes.

18. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

Apple gave me a full refund (I'm in the UK) for my 5c which had a noticeable chip in the plastic in the corner from dropping it. So I would think that you'd be fine. If you're downgrading though, I personally wouldn't go below 32gb; 12gb used is too much for the 16gb imo.

19. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You really don't remember dropping the phone? Those are classic drop on concrete (or similar) dents.

20. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

CJLevinsk22

21. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

It could have happened while he was sleep-walking. :rolleyes:

22. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Why not just be honest with us and tell us you dropped it then you went out and bought the otterbox case :D I would hope that Apple would tell you to go pound sand

23. blarivee macrumors 6502

It really depends on who you get at the store. Some may allow you to return and some may not.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would allow you to return it and get a 16GB model.
    But first I would just grab the new iPhone and before I hand it to you I would drop it on the floor to even it out:D
    Fair and square:p

25. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

Not sure why you're lying about dropping it in an anonymous forum, but yea that's a sidewalk drop for sure, and your reason(too much space? Blahahahahah) for returning it is absurd. Just admit you're returning it cuz you dented it.