Will apple add to its phablet category?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raptorstv, Oct 30, 2012.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

In order to compete with the Galaxy Note 2? Maybe with a 5" or 5.5"?

2. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

3. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I hope so. Laptops are there to stay forever but phones and tablets are fads that are eventually going to converge and become phablets. The sooner we usher into this new era the better.

4. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

5. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Apple will make a 5.9" device and claim that it is not a 5" device and thus is in a category of its own.

6. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I don't honk there's anyway that happens. Apple wants to have 3 categories: iPhone, iPad, iPad mini. Having too many products is what brought them into the dumps before Steve got there.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Nope. Apple does not cater to everyone. I was almost surprised they ended up making an iPad Mini. Apple pretty much only makes a few devices in any given category and declares "if you don't like, go somewhere else"....

Phones - 4, 4S, 5
    iPads - Mini, 2, 4 (the new)
    iPods - Shuttle, Nano, Touch *
    Laptops - 6 currently (but the classic 13" and 15" will disappear by next year almost guaranteed)
    Desktops - Mini, iMac 21, iMac 27, Mac Pro

I just can't see them muddying the waters of their tablets and adding a 4th. Apple is not Dell, HP, Samsung, etc. They don't need to have 12 of each product in each category. They thrive on only having a few in each and making you go with the one that closely meets your needs....

* Classic doesn't count since it hasn't been updated in years

8. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Well they can solve this by eliminating all three of them and replacing them with a 5.5 inch phablet. they can also simplify their macbook lineup by eliminating the pro lineup and replacing them with mba's equipped with discrete graphics and retina displays.

9. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I think they are in danger of having too many already and trying to cover all bases, and dare I say it keep up with the competition, the iPad mini isn't new.

10. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

That's pushing it IMO. A 5.5" phone is just too big and a 5.5" tablet is just too small. That's like saying lets just get rid of all 16 wheelers and normal cars and let everyone drive Minivans. It makes no sense. They are different purposes for each.