Will Apple change the name of the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by strategicthinke, Aug 9, 2016.

1. strategicthinke, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

strategicthinke macrumors regular

strategicthinke

Hey everyone,

I posted this on the news comment section, but I find it pertinent to the discussion here as well. Check my assessment below:

Come to think of it... I've been defendant of the idea that the 10th Anniversary iPhone will be a rebranded phone: Apple Phone (with the apple symbol before the phone).
    Think of it:
    Previous era of Apple Products (aka.: iDevices) AND services (such as iCloud):
    iPod
    iPhone
    iPad
    iCloud
    iMac
    iBooks
    iTunes
    iWork

New generation of Apple products:
    Apple Music (Music)
    Apple Watch
    Apple TV
    Apple Macbook (they DO use the Apple symbol before the new Macbook name, although they don't write it)
    Apple Pay
    Apple Pencil

So... Given that (1st) there are researches that show a bad response to the "i" names by newer generations and (2nd) the brands with "i" in front of the name have been under attack in patent challenges in China, it would seem feasible to me that they could have an all-new branded Apple Phone (of course, with the minimalistic symbol before the Phone, which further reinforces their control over the trademarked phone name).

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I'm no marketing expert, but I feel like changing one of the most recognized, popular, and profitable brand names in consumer electronics history is a bad idea. I think it would only happen if iPhone sales declined to the point of near death. Changing your brand name is usually a desperate attempt to draw people back when your ship starts sinking.

3. strategicthinke thread starter macrumors regular

strategicthinke

Yes, I agree it would be risky. But, then, they have been facing trademark issues with case producers in China. Who know what these precedent cases might open up in the future. I think it is not likely to change the name, but I bet they have considered it at least. Apple Pad and Apple Phone, this would justify separating iOS into two different OSes like the watchOS and macOS: phoneOS and padOS.

4. 0928001 Suspended

No. They won't. Everyone knows what an iPhone is.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The "gain" doesn't justify the risk at all. It doesn't make sense for Apple to rebrand the product that has earned them billions and billions of dollars over the last 10 years to stay ahead of some Chinese companies that they could buy out in a second if they wanted to.

And frankly, Apple Phone and Apple Pad sound dumb. It may just be a matter of familiarity, but that's the point. Companies work their butts off to get the kind of brand recognition that the iPhone/iPad have. You don't throw that away once you've got it. That's insane.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Doubtful. The iPhone is one of the contributing factors to Steve Jobs and his legacy. I doubt they would change the name to anything else. It would not seem appropriate.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

No way in Heck will they get rid of the iPhone brand. I understand their push to get away from "i" products, but the iPhone is here to stay!

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Apple is not going to stop using the name iPhone for a long time.

It has become iconic.

9. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

10. noobinator macrumors 601

iPhone and iPad won't ever change. They are iconic products and iconic names. Changing them would be like Coke saying we are now called "Black fizzy soda".

11. strategicthinke thread starter macrumors regular

strategicthinke

Yes, but Coca Cola is the name of the company. We're not talking about "The iPhone Company" TM here...

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you really think that Apple is going to drop the iPhone name you are not "strategically thinking"

It is crazy to even think that.

13. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

0P, did you say this is pertinent to this form? Is this so important to you. You buy a phone for the phone, not a name, for goodness sake's. I don't care what they call it. I never have and I never will. Interesting that some people have to make up a threat about this.

14. strategicthinke thread starter macrumors regular

strategicthinke

Branding is a very important part of a product. And this is an adequate forum to discuss so, as much as Apps and Pokemon Go and new colours of the phone. Hell, even thin vs. bold font size used in iOS is discussed here - and this is what makes this forum such a rich place for Apple fans - and you say this is irrelevant and inadequate? I beg your pardon, but I've got to disagree with you in this.