Will Apple discontinue silver iPhone for future models?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trek360, Sep 23, 2013.

1. trek360 macrumors 6502

I don't think many predicted how wildly popular the gold iPhones would be. I finally got to see all three colors at the store today which helped me understand some of the buzz. Gold certainly does provide a fresh look for the line.

It made me wonder whether silver might be dropped at some point. There are muted differences between gold and silver and I'm assuming having only two color options in the 5s line further streamlines production.

Any thoughts?

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I think offering 3 colors opened a Pandora's box for apple and in the future they will offer at least 3 colors.

Wouldn't be surprised if 2 black 2 white. I don't think silver will necessarily be done but they'll come up with something similar like brushed nickel, platinum, something.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I hope not, since I always choose the white color option :D If you recall, "Silver" was simply just a change from "White and Silver" from the iPhone 5. Black and white have always been the two basic color choices since the iPod days, so I hope Apple doesn't drop it.

4. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

I ordered a 64gb Silver. Even with gold being available when I placed my order.

It seems like Apple under estimated the sales of the Silver and Gold color in the US.. I'm sure China had tons of Gold Inventory.

Maybe that's why most US stores (Apple and most carriers) only had a few of each Gold/Silver, but an abundance of the Space Gray.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Seeing the gold model in person really did change my opinion about it, Space Gray is the model most available right now and the model I originally wanted, but if I go in this week and they happen to have gold available I might get it, but if I don't then I will still be happy with Space Gray.

6. trek360 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a bit of a Pandora's box. I was thinking too they might come up with some silver representative that could work on the black and white. It would be hard to get rid of it completely. Unless sales get skewed to the gold which I don't think we'll see if there's a shortage now.

It does seem a little un-apple to offer a lot of options, especially when they aren't wildly different from each other like colors of the 5c.

7. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Yeah I'm just saying before the 4, we had no choices. Then we had a delayed 2nd choice with the 4. Now, we have 5 choices of 5C and 3 choices of 5S. Combine that with storage capacity and you're looking at 24 models of the current phone.

8. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Iphone 3G and 3GS came in white and black too

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/13/black-iphone-3g-vs-white-iphone-3g-fight/

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Historically, Apple has typically introduced more colors over time, not less.

10. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

12. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

That new gold looks like tacky bling to me. Liked it on the 5S when it had more copper to it, but the new color is too close to real gold so it has a cheap imitation vibe to it.

Still, even the new gold looks sweet in Apple's blue leather case. Too bad the :apple: Case doesn't fix the bends.

----------

Candy colored iMacs? Flower Power iMac?

[​IMG]

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

14. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

I just hope they add black. None of that "space grey" crap. I want a darth Vader iPhone

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I hope the true colors come back as well. White white, black black etc

16. Bobo03 macrumors regular

I had decided on SG, but it is the number one choice in the Atlanta area. I have found the other colors available, but the SG goes quick.

I have always had black phones, except for that weird blue on the galaxy 3, but I just put a black case on it. Part of me wants the silver 6. I think it would nice to change things up, yet I don't want to regret it 2 months down the line.

The only color I have seen in the wild has been SG.

17. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I don't see Apple discontinuing the silver iPhone in the future. Like others mentioned, they'd likely introduce new colours.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You quoted me from over a year ago :)

Either way, I'm enjoying my Space Gray iPhone 6

19. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple would stick with Black fronts for all phones and just have the color of the back be an option. Never been a fan of the white glass.

20. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Product red#

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Probably not for iPhone/iPad though.

22. Romy90210 macrumors 6502

A product Red iPhone would sell like Hot Cakes!!!!:apple:apple::apple:

23. Bobo03 macrumors regular

Ha. Didn't notice the date. I haven't seen too many necro threads on MR. This one got me.