Will Apple ever come out with a more affordable display line? Also monitor question..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The Final Cut, Sep 5, 2009.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

Yes we all know how good the apple displays can be. But there are many of us who do not want to spend as much as we did on our system for a monitor. Will apple come out with monitors in the $150-$500 range? If not I must why are all computer monitors black? I really would like a silver one, or at least half silver to match my macbook pro. I have found only one I like design wise the hp 21.5" 1080p monitor. How is that for mac use?

2. illibball087 macrumors regular

if apple decides to make a 20 inch display then yeah it'll be under 500 or right at it

3. foodle macrumors 6502

It seems unlikely that Apple will come out with a budget display line. There's another thread about this already, but basically a budget display line would have:
    - low profit margin
    - hurt Apple brand (associated with cheap hardware)
    - compete with many other players in the space

Dell once made a number of aluminum surrounded displays (e.g. Ultrasharp 2707).

4. btownguy macrumors 6502a

you can get the 24" ACD refurbished for $599. It's still expensive, but quite a discount off retail. Be warned though that you are likely to get a very small defect or two. I recently ordered a refurb ACD and it had a very noticeable piece of dust between the glass and the screen. I returned it. I bought a 2nd refurb ACD and it had a smaller piece of dust, but it also had a dead pixel. I returned it as well. I ended up buying a brand new ACD but used my $100 education discount. Still an insane amount to pay for a display, but the thing is perfect and absolutely gorgeous. I love it!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt it. It's the same thing with Apple netbook, they don't want to sell product that wouldn't be great. 24" LED is awesome. Yes, it is expensive but you're getting a bang for you buck. Of course if you only surf on the web and use iTunes, a cheap 3rd party monitor will be enough but if you edit pics, watch movies etc, you'll notice a difference. Many people are ready to pay extra to get the  logo

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Will Apple ever come out with a more affordable display line?"

Simple, quick answer:
    No.

Apple makes a bundle of money selling stylish things that are often quite overpriced for their utility. And - as of late - they seem to have lost any interest in providing peripherals (such as keyboards and mice) that have much "utility" at all - the triumph of style over substance.

Before you jump all over me, I've been an Apple-only guy since 1986. I don't touch PeeCee's.

Having said that, if you want a high-quality display that doesn't cost a bundle, buy a Dell UltraSharp. My 1905FP looks as good as any Apple display I've ever seen, including the one on my 24" Intel iMac.

- John

7. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

For what it is, the ACD is actually reasonably priced. Look at other manufacturers' products and you won't find them selling 24" IPS LCD for much less. The fact that the ACD has a LED backlight justifies a small extra cost as well. I'm not saying that there isn't a premium to be paid for the apple logo and design, but once you start comparing apples with apples (uh... pun not intended?) you'll see that the ACD is actually reasonable.

8. foodle macrumors 6502

Exactly. A comparable display like the NEC 2490 is over $1000. Actually, I think the best deal is the 24" iMac, since you get a superb screen and a computer for about $1300.