Will Apple Ever Release Official Software to Unlock the 3G Someday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazyyankeefan, Aug 14, 2008.

1. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

So I've read that after people jailbroke their 3G, the phones' OS became unstable and slower. Is it possible someday when the iPhone is out-of-date, Apple will release an official update (not to effect the OS performance) to let us unlock the phones so we can use them oversea?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

3. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

But I heard 2.0.1 unlocks original iPhone. That isn't true?

4. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Not in the slightest.

5. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

So when I travel outside the US, can I still use the other features on my 3G?

6. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Of course, you can use it but you will be tied to your AT&T contract which means overseas charges.

7. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

At the end of your contract, depending on where you live most networks will unlock the phone for free or a small charge.

That`s certainly the case in the UK.

However Apple will not release that unlocking process otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Cheers
    M.

8. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

I will never use any jailbreaking software to unlock my phone because it will mess up the OS. As for Apple possibily releasing any unlocking software, I certainly don't mean "now". I mean when the iPhone 3G becomes obsolete.

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

In Germany you can pay the premium price and give your IMEI to the carrier! Apple will then unlock the phone through the IMEI code!!!

10. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know how much is "that price"?

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

That lasted less than a week. Then a higher court overturned the lower court's ruling and the exclusive carrier chose to stop selling the unlocked version.

In France it is possible to obtain an officially unlocked version of the iPhone. You pay an extremely large amount to get it contract-free and unlocked right from the start, or alternatively you can wait six months, and the network will unlock it for free on request (although you won't be released from your contractual obligation to continue making regular monthly payments for the life of the original contract).

Apparently the iPhones for sale in Hong Kong and Australia are also available in an officially unlocked state. It may also be true in other countries too.

Certainly in the UK the exclusive carrier has said that they never intend to offer unlocking services for any of the iPhones they sell.

To answer your question:
    Apple has produced official unlocking software. It is not immediately clear to me whether they always intended to have an unlockable version available, or if they were forced into it as a cost of doing business in certain jurisdictions where it was required.

However, it appears to be the case that now that we know such an official unlock does technically exist, it is up to the discretion of the carrier you purchased the phone from (along with any agreements they may have entered into with Apple, as well as the relevant laws which may trump those agreements in the jurisdiction where you live) to decide whether the official unlock will be made available in your area.

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Sorry.....:eek:

I thought I heard about this "official unlock" somewhere but couldnt remember the country! Its France not Germany!

Thanks for the rectification!:)

14. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

Why do the US carriers always have this weird system? I know in some countries in Asia and Europe, though they too require for 1 or 2 years contract for subsidized prices, they don't lock up the phones or "re-package" the phones. It seems the US is the only country that the carriers sell only re-packaged locked phones with their UGLY logos on the phones.

15. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

You probably should get your facts straight on jailbreak and unlocking through software.

16. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

You're right. I haven't really dig into this since I have heard jailbreaking messes up the OS, I have no intention of doing so. However, I thought unlocking through official software (if there's any) would be fine.

17. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

In the UK the operators brand their phones. My old nokia had vodafone logos on the front, and the software was vodafone skinned. There were also shortcuts to vodafone live, and references to that in the software menus. I bought it direct from vodafone.

However you can easily get an unbranded, and unlocked (but still subsidised) phone by purchasing through a reseller, like phones4u or carphonewarehouse. All their phones are unbranded so they can sell it on any network, as they sell several different networks.

18. crazyyankeefan thread starter macrumors regular

So it's the same there. Then I guess it's just Asian counties don't brand their phones tho.