Will Apple Give me Any Trouble for Wanting to Replace my Phone for Free ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, May 23, 2010.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

ive had this phone for less than a year and its experiencing alot of dropped calls, not receiving all my calls, etc. etc.

ive contacted at&T and they said i should be able to bring it to a apple store and swap it out no problem but i just wanted to ask u guys on here if u've ever had any problems with the apple store honoring their 1 year satisfaction policy.....

all i have to do is set up an appt with genius bar right?

also do they give u a new sim card or do u have to use the old one ?

2. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Apple doesn't have a "One Year Satisfaction Policy."

They'll probably replace it at the genius bar. I'm not so sure about the SIM card.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

you get the Sim from your cell provider such as AT&T usually free but they can charge. I'd be nice! ;) other then that Apple points at AT&T and AT&T points at Apple personally I think it's a little of both! have to see what your genius says!

4. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

isnt there some kind of one year warranty?

after the one year u have to either by apple care or ur out of luck kinda thing i heard

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

For the product not the service. The service is AT&T so if your experiencing service related issues, then it's not the phone's fault. Sure they may swap it and usually they're pretty good about it but if your still experiencing them afterward then your still stuck and stuck with probably a refurb/used phone that's probably older than the one you swapped it with.

6. tritonj macrumors 6502a

they do not swap with used phones

refurb does not = used, they give you a brand new shell and screen, the refurbish just means the internals are reused and then they restore to factory.

a refurb is just as good as new, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between new or used without looking up a serial number somewhere in a database

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Like he said and then you get 90 days warranty with the refurb.

I wouldn’t buy Apple Care on such a small purchase. Make sure you get satisfaction with either Apple or AT&T. Your issue sounds like it is with AT&T, but they’re trying to pass the buck to Apple. Make sure AT&T replaces your SIM and shows you there are no problems with service in your area. AFTER that, if you have problems, go to Apple.

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

10. tritonj macrumors 6502a

11. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

im prety sure its an issue with the phone.

the phone doesnt ring when people call me. it goes straight to voicemail.
    sometimes ill get a new voicemail and the phone wont even have rang

i talked to at&t about it and they told me to try putting the sim card in another phone and see if fthe problem persists. the problem doesnt persist so i know its the phone..

in that scenario even if they swap out a phone for me they will be giving me a refurbished phone?? they wont be giving me a new phone?

12. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

A refurb is better than a 'new' phone, the shell is new and it's been fully tested by a tech. You're more likely to get a lemon off an assembly line.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

They might not replace it on the first check, one of my friends experienced a similar issue like yours, and after a full follow up on AT&T, they did replaced his iPhone and now he is not experiencing the excessive drop calls.
    Go to the Genius bar and if the 'geniue' is not solving it, ask for the manager.
    You will likely get a replacement iPhone and they will reuse your SIM card unless it is defective, if so they'll give you a new one or through AT&T.

14. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

do u know if he got a new phone? or a refurbished phone

how come they didnt replace it on first check? isnt it within his one year warranty i was told by AT&T they should replace it no questions asked since im within my one year.

15. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

new phones arent tested?

id still rather have a new phone :( lol call me stubborn

i dont understand why they would insist on giving you a refurbished phone though...especially when the warranty states that they will "either exchange the product with a product that is NEW or refurbished"

[​IMG]

does that mean you have a choice?

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apple doesn't replace a part on a refurb unless they have to.

Apple's official statement on refurbs is as follows:

The last statement means it basically gets the same testing as a new product.

So I don't think there's anything magic about their testing. I've owned a few Apple refurbs and they worked and they were cheaper, which is all I cared about. Some had cases that still had some tiny scratches, which didn't bother me.

At least Apple clears them fully these days. Remember the first year or two of refurbs, and hackers would find the previous owner's emails, contacts, texts, etc still hidden in the file system?

17. bstpierre macrumors 6502

It is Apple's choice.

18. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

okay so under what circumstance do they give u a new one?

19. Jason4 macrumors newbie

I might be wrong but I suspect that it's based on inventory and the only time you can expect a new one is shortly after a product launch when there really isn't a working inventory for refurbished parts and they are still ramping up the new part inventory. The rest of the product cycle the refurb inventory would only continue to grow if they didn't use them for warranty replacements.