iPad Will Apple increase the resolution of the 9.7-in iPad in near future?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HarryWarden, Sep 27, 2013.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

With Amazon's iPad competitor, the 8.9" Kindle HDX having a higher resolution than the iPad (and at a smaller size so the ppi is even better), do you think Apple will eventually increase the resolution of the flagship iPad to match or exceed Amazon's tablet? And if so, how soon do you think it'll happen?

2. yannoulecomte macrumors newbie

there is no need to. Look at the iPhone. Three generations with the same display. So if they every put a higher res, it will be first on the iPhone, probbaly iPhone 6

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I cant see why. A 9.7 screen only has so much resolution that you'd benefit from. Its pretty razor sharp now. Id rather see them devote time and resources to other improvements ot updates. The display is the last thing they need to work on!

4. naughtynumber9 macrumors newbie

It's a retina display already. This means that at a normal viewing distance the pixel density is such that you cannot actually see individual pixels. Increasing the pixel density will have 0 to minimal benefit to the human eye and is unnecessary. That said, they might.

5. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Does anybody actually complain that the iPad's retina display looks pixelated and crappy? It seems like people want Apple to increase the ppi of the iPhone and iPad screens just to increase the specs on paper.

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Apple has never competed on spec sheets. They don't care if a competitor has a higher pixel count, especially if there's no real benefit to it anyway.

I think Apple would rather keep the display the same and then increase the battery life. I think it's a much more relevant talking point for advertising. I would rather take a 12 hour tablet with the iPads resolution than a 6 hour tablet with Amazon's.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

1080P content already has to be scaled up on the current resolution. Text already looks super crisp. Going higher just means more work for developers with little benefit for end users.

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Not to mention the extra drain on battery.

9. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Since Apple apparently only doubles the resolution to simplify the scaling process for developers, it's probably fair to assume the iPad Mini Retina will match the resolution of the iPad 3/4. If the iPad 5 stays the same (doubling its current resolution seems unrealistic), it would seem strange for the iPad Mini to have a higher PPI than the iPad 5 (264 vs 324) imo.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I don't think this is really an issue, because you hold the mini closer to your face. The 9.7" iPad has the same resolution, so any text will be bigger meaning you can read it with the same ease farther away.

It will be the same as the iPhone having a higher PPI - text sizes on the Mini and iPhone are the same, only screen space is different.