Will Apple let you swap bands only w/in 14 days in store, w/o returning the watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by benguild, Apr 12, 2015.

1. benguild, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

benguild macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering about this, because I ordered the wrong size band on 1 of the 2 watches I ordered.

Apple having to refurbish the watches at their expense for the sake of avoiding a customer having to purchase an additional, high-margin watchband at their own expense and resell the original band... seems like kind of a hassle/waste either way. Given the retail handling of watches with swappable bands and try-ons and all that, it seems like swapping bands of different types/origins wouldn't be a huge issue. You could maybe just return a band of the equivalent value in the other's packaging.

With that said, any returned watches would have to be refurbished and repackaged by Apple... so it's not like they don't have the logistical system in place to handle band reassignment. So, for returns, bands aren't necessarily permanently paired to their original packaging/watch.

What do you think?

2. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

If it's not listed seperatly on your invoice (which it isn't), then no.

3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right... that would be anyone's logical guess. But don't you think it wouldn't be unreasonable within the 14 day period?

4. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I agree it would be unreasonable, but think about it. How are apple going to track the returns/exchanges of thousands of orders which don't have an associated order number?

A similar example, you can't cancel an order once it's preparing for shipment, you have to wait to receive it and return it. That costs Apple money but that's the way they do it. They're too big to do anything outside of there system.

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

How did you order the wrong size band? That makes no sense. You order a watch package that includes a band. They are both matching sizes.

If you did want a different band you should just order the one you want and sell the extra band on ebay or craigslist. Maybe someone will create a swap service.

If all you did was order a second band but did get the wrong size, then return that. It is unclear what exactly you did with so little detail.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't think the OP is talking about 38mm/42mm bands, rather small, medium or large. For example, the Leather Loop and Modern Buckle both have different sizes, of which you can only order one with the watch.

7. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

8. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I'd be willing to bet that they will do this. Why? Because if a customer is unhappy enough to make a return, they will return the entire watch package and get exactly what they want. It would be in Apple's best interest to just swap the band for something off of the rack. The profit margins are insane on the bands....they'd lose more money doing a refurb+exchange.

I'd also be willing to bet that this swapping won't be encouraged, but will be allowed when a customer is unhappy enough to return the entire package.

9. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

I have asked in the shop, since I have ordered the blue leather loop in large, according to the details and my wrist size. Turns out it is too big and the guy in the shop said that I shouldnt worry, just come in and they'd be happy to swap this for another size.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I tried on the leather loop in store and when fitted comfortably it had around an inch of strap available for adjustment. I have 190mm wrists and assumed the band I tried was the large but it was in fact the medium. Bizarre.

11. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I see. So you're saying they'll swap it even though it's the band that came bundled with the watch?

12. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Thats what they said...

13. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Weird. My store wasn't sure, but maybe they changed the policy since the try on launch. They seemed overwhelmed on launch day.

Store employees were kind of nervous about touching peoples' wrists and arms and stuff.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

But isn't it problematic if you sell it down the line? The buyer will have a fit if you give them the retail box with the picture of the wrong band. They're pretty anal about those things. Trust me on this.

15. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Given the current ship dates for many of the stand alone bands, I doubt stores will have any/many for quite some time (except maybe the sports bands).

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So Space Black link bracelet owners will be able to return the link bracelet (which isn't even sold individually) and swap out for, say, the Space Gray sport band? If so, how much will they get back for the Space Black link bracelet?

17. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

Wife ordered a SS 38mm with small pink leather band. Didn't realize it was the small one until we got home from Apple Store and the receipt was in our email inbox.

I called Apple and explained we wanted the medium size band. They recommended we don't cancel (and delay shipment further), instead once we get the watch, swap the band out in the store.

That was the advice from calling support at 1800-MYAPPLE

18. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

The only problem now also, do you think Apple will actually have any bands in stock on release date???
    The bands shipping dates are already slipping as well.. I just don't see them having many bands in stock on release day

19. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

She should order a sports band to use when she gets the watch because I don't think the modern buckles are going to be in stock for a long long time. They currently aren't even taking orders for delayed shipment, they are simply "unavailable"

20. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

My guess is the "swap" will only work for the watches where you have to select a band size before you order. Apple knows these people may pick the wrong size. Swapping of different types of bands most likely will not happen.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good point. This is most likely the case.

22. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great to hear! I guess let's just hope that they'll live up to that.

----------

That seems like a fair assumption.

I mean, it could also be that maybe also bands of an equivalent retail value could be swapped. No idea. I doubt they'll swap like exclusive bands like the black stainless steel link, etc.

Relieved to hear that 1-800-APPLE or whatever confirmed that you can at least swap the size for the equivalent band!

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I bet Apple will only swap for different sizes of the same band and color.

What a nightmare if you could go and get the band on your watch switched out to whatever. Do not see that happening.

24. MacSE1987 macrumors newbie

The OP could just call Apple and request a change before the order ships. They might even be able to keep the same ship date.

Even if the OP takes delivery, arrangements could possibly be made to return it unopened to the store and receive an exchange for the required size. Or just ship it back via the online store. It will probably take longer to get a replacement in that case.

They might do it, but I just don't see them swapping out bands at the stores.

25. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think they can change it. They can only cancel the order and place a new one? At least, those are the options presented to me on the site.