Will Apple move more manufacturing to the USA with government subsidies?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Starfyre, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

With all the buzz about creation and outsourcing of new jobs, with Trump providing companies like Carrier government subsidies to move at least a portion of their manufacturing and well-paying manufacturing jobs back to the USA, what is everyone's thought on how realistic this is for the new administration to do this with Apple? Is it realistic? Can it be done without raising prices on the Apple products we see today?

2. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Despite all the BS thrown around about unskilled workers here in the US...yes...it could be done. They are building factories right now in India where there are lots of unskilled workers...cheap unskilled workers. I think the reality is that a US plant would be more highly automated than a Chinese plant. The Chinese factory relies on humans to keep its operations felexible and cheaper. Buying highly specialized automation for short term products like the iPhone just doesn't make financial sense to companies like Foxconn. In China it's cheaper to use human labor than invest in automation systems that may not be needed in 2-3 years. The capital investment opportunities there are just not like the US. In order for any company to build a factory here they would need to be highly efficient both operationally and financially. The margins would be tight. I just don't know if the US demand is enough to justify it. Trump would have to give them some sort of tax break to make it worth while I imagine.

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

If we take a look at Teslas GigaFactories, the entire process of manufacturing the batteries is fully autonomous. Not knowing what the costs are compared to human assembly, but that would be really good to know that having the automation really makes things cheaper in the long run. I hope more people can follow the footsteps of these autonomous manufacturing companies.