Will Apple offer an upgrade of the base rMBP to 512 GB SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jun 23, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I keep asking myself this: given all the static Apple is getting from various reviews (including Anandtech, Verge, ...) about the lack of an option to upgrade the base rMBP to 512 GB SSD, and given that iFixit shows that these can be easily replaced in principle, could it be that Apple will offer an upgrade of these things to their customers who got the 256 GB option early on?

It really is pretty pathetic that they don't offer this unless you pay $600 more for the model with 10% faster processors (which most people don't need). I'd bet that if you did a survey, ten times more of those getting the base model would be willing to shell out $300 for the SSD upgrade than would be willing to pay the same amount to the faster processors. I would, and the only thing holding my three friends in the market for a new Macbook back from getting the Retina is precisely the lack of said option.

WTH Apple...this is ridiculous.

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I understand why you would like that option, but I doubt Apple gives a **** about reviews. They can basically sell anything and people will buy it.By requiring people who want more space to spend the extra 600 they get more money in their pockets.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Considering how 512GB SSDs cost $700 by themselves (in the cheaper 2.5" hard drive form factor, no less) I don't see how Apple's price for the upgrade is unreasonable. Sure, it's inconvenient that the base model doesn't offer it, but it doesn't seem like some horrible price gouge to me.

4. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

BS.

Prices of SSD has fallen dramatically since last year. A Crucial M4 512gb goes for less than $400 nowadays. There is no reason to dish out $600 for a 512gb ssd. And $1000 for the 768gb is an even bigger waste of money.

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

You're ignoring that the upgrade also includes a much more expensive faster quad core processor. Given that the 2.7 GHz is $250 more than the 2.6 GHz variant, I bet that at least half of those $600 go towards the speed bump from 2.3 GHz to 2.6 GHz.

6. djmoody macrumors regular

Well, the price of the 512GB SSD is $500 more than the 256GB SSD on the regular pro. and thats for a regular 2.5" ssd that any store will sell you. These are ultra thin proprietary ssd, so for $600 more, you get that SSD and a better processor. Sounds quite reasonable to me considering how much apple charges for other ssds.

HOwever, if you really want to get the base but need 512GB, stores will begin selling them once they figure out the proprietary connector, just like they do the air.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I doubt it, Apple doesn't look at reviews but sales.

Just look at how well the retina MBP is selling, delivery estimates are stuck at a month. Why would apple offer more (for less $$) when they're raking in the dough right now?

8. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Look, I didn't say that the $600 is a bad deal for the entire package, but that it is ridiculous to assume that people would want both at the same time.

Also, it sounds like third party replacements won't be as fast as Apple's own, hence my posting this thread, to see what people think about Apple offering such an upgrade later on for people who already have a 256 GB SSD (because they couldn't afford the extra $600 for the faster processor+bigger SSD option).

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Sorry, I was quoting the price of more reputable SSD makers (ie Samsung's 830 series or Intel's SSDs).

----------

I mean, there really isn't any answer to that question that we could provide that'd be any more than guessing. So, your guess is as good as ours. All we know is that Apple's NOT offering it now, and are unlikely to say anything about offering it in the future since that doesn't fit their MO.

10. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

It surprises me that you ignore the content of the original post. By your logic, Apple would only sell the $2,799 and higher priced options, as they would still sell out during the first month or so. Instead, they chose to sell a less expensive option with lower CPU speed and smaller hard drive. You really are not providing any argument for why they're not offering an intermediate solution.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

You are paying $1000 for that 512GB.....$500 is already figured into the base price.

12. brentsg, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

brentsg macrumors 68030

Go find me a Samsung 830 series 512 for that price. That's the preferred option for OSX for both performance and reliability and it's nowhere near $400.

Prices are definitely on the decline but you'll see more aggressive prices on drives that have displayed performance and/or reliability problems. Even if firmware has been adjusted to repair significant issues, they still leave people cautious and affect sales.. and therefore prices.

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

Maflynn is right: Apple has always been about the profit. If you look at the product lines, the low-end, "cheaper", products virtually always have minimal feature options. If you want mid-to-upper-end features like a higher-res display, more cores, or a larger hard disk, you've always had to buy the higher-end models. Yes, you can argue that this is "not right", but Apple's not going to change. Why should they, when their products are selling very well and are making obscene amounts of money?

Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of Apple's customers have absolutely no idea how to disassemble the MBP and replace the SSD, even assuming that someone produces larger replacements. And, no, I think it's highly unlikely that Apple will later produce a larger SSD upgrade option for existing rMBP owners. Again, why should they, as this sets a bad precedent?: upgrade options for existing products are bad, as that will likely extend the usable life of existing Apple products, and cause some people to defer buying future Apple products. Apple does not want that. Apple WANTS people to upgrade and buy new products.

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Exactly. I haven't seen the 630 512GB for less than $600-700.

15. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Again, you're not providing a single argument for why Apple offers no SSD upgrade for the RMBP, but only a combined CPU+SSD upgrade. And if you did provide an argument and it escaped me, how is that argument consistent with the existence of a 512 GB SSD upgrade for the Air, without accompanying CPU upgrade?

16. eron macrumors 6502

I think it's simply inconvenient for apple to have 512GB option for the base model. This would probably require an extra manufacturing line/process.

Right now the base 256gb models just have 2 lines running 16GB or 8GB ram.

The 512GB CTO lines have 512GB/768GB, processor upgrades, and the rams to choose from. This is the slower manufacturing line.

Allowing 256GB on the base model will slow down production further, and lengthen the waiting period.

As the Retina MBP manufacturing line becomes cool, maybe there will be the 512GB option for the base model.

17. macbook123, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, it could be a supply chain thing, couldn't it? Wile they're ramping up production of their SSDs, they're only offering it in the higher end models, but my question is whether once they offer it in the base models, will they also offer in store upgrades of the existing 256 GB modules? It seems easy from a tech perspective, doesn't it?

18. brentsg macrumors 68030

How is replacing soldered-in RAM modules in store easy? These "genius'" are plugging things in and using screwdrivers, they aren't rebuilding logic boards.

19. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I meant SSD, not RAM. This is what the thread is about.

20. brentsg macrumors 68030

Ha sorry, was reading on mobile and the line a couple back about 2 lines for RAM configs stuck in my head.

21. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Actually, I had also mistyped RAM instead of SSD (edited now), so you're not crazy and I'm the one to apologize :)

22. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple is using Samsung 830 SSD hardware in the Retina MBP. Those do cost around $700 for 512GB.

23. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Actually $319.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but Apple still has the same $500 markup between 256GB and 512GB across their notebook line. Apple makes as much margin on NAND as the NAND manufacturers themselves, partly because they are the only game in town (until OWC figures out how to make a compatible controller).

25. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

The real question is how much they cost for 256 GB, since this thread has to do with the non-existence of a 512 GB upgrade *over* the 256 GB version for under $600. Also, are you referring to general market prices or what Apple pays?