Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumor2018

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
In 2017, Apple introduced a desktop machine called iMac Pro. It is still being sold 2.5 years later. Since then, they released a new Mac Pro 6 months ago. Do you think Apple will soon update the iMac Pro with modern specs like Bluetooth 5.0, etc?

What are your thoughts?

Migranya

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
I agree with @wellander1, we should get a new iMac Pro in 2021, after the regular iMac with the next AMD GPUs. Remember that it's said that miniLED products got a delay.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unknown at this time.

I'm wondering if a redesigned iMac Pro could become the first "Pro-level" Mac using ARM...?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
There was a new imac pro rumor a couple months ago for late this year. So maybe..

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have a feeling we won't see the iMac Pro anymore. The iMac Pro was released more as a stopgap between the Mac Pro trashcan and the new cheesegrater.

We will see.

Reactions: th0masp

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I have a feeling we won't see the iMac Pro anymore. The iMac Pro was released more as a stopgap between the Mac Pro trashcan and the new cheesegrater.

We will see.
As I recall according to scuttlebutt on the Mac Pro forum, the iMac Pro was originally going to be a replacement for the 2013 Mac Pro. Feed back from some of Apple’s corporate buyers was less than enthusiastic so Apple began developing a traditional “modular” Mac Pro while also releasing the iMac Pro. So in a sense the iMac Pro was a stop gap measure but possibly an unintended one.

I would say it’s future depends on what sort of market could be carved out for it between newer iMacs and the Mac Pro.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
In 2017, Apple introduced a desktop machine called iMac Pro. It is still being sold 2.5 years later. Since then, they released a new Mac Pro 6 months ago. Do you think Apple will soon update the iMac Pro with modern specs like Bluetooth 5.0, etc?

Well the iMac Pro has had Bluetooth 5.0 since launch. ;)

As to the rest, yes I believe there will be an update either late this year or early next year. Intel has released upgrade Xeon CPUs and AMD has released upgrade GPUs (NAVI 1.0) and will be releasing upgrades to the upgrade later this year / early next year (NAVI 2.0). We also have a rumor from earlier this year from Kuo stating that the iMac Pro will receive a new MiniLED-backlit display.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I would like them to release a new iMac Pro but i don’t know that it makes sense. the 2019 iMac has already come very close to closing the gap with it. And if apple releases a 2020 iMac the remaining gap would evaporate entirely.

Seems like it was a one off as a bridge to the 2019 Mac Pro.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I would rather see a new iMac pro based upon Apple silicon. I'd also like it to have a 32" 5 or 6k display and no screen borders. I should be able to add memory and swap SSDs. What good is a pro machine that is obsolete in 3 years requiring replacement vs upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.