Will Apple Release Dev Tools for a Larger iPhone Screen at WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, May 29, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Assuming you believe that the next iPhone will have the larger screen (a big "if" for some of you, but just accept that statement for a moment), do you think Apple would release new dev tools and info at WWDC so that developers could update and create apps for the new screen resolution? Or do you think Apple would stop short of giving away any information on the new device and won't update their dev section to reflect the new resolution until it is announced this fall?

Is it possible, and this is a big stretch, that Apple would announce the new device at WWDC because of the new resolution and the fact that they need to get the new device information into the hands of developers asap? It would be difficult for developers to update their apps for the larger screen resolution without a decent amount of time so I'm just thinking what would be the best strategy for Apple as a company. What do you think?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This.

They launched the iPad by essentially saying "All apps run on the iPad, they just look bad. Developers...hurry up and make them look good."

They then repeated the same script with the new retina display on the iPhone 4 just two months later.

If the new iPhone screen changes size, I expect the same exact thing again.

3. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Good points...I tend to agree.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If the rumours about the elongated screen are true, wouldn't most 'system' type apps scale automagically and games would just run letterboxed? Seems like a smaller jump from 3.5" -> iPad, so I doubt they'd release anything this time, either.

5. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I think Apple may announce iPhone at WWDC. Anything that has to do with development has to be done at WWDC. That's what they did when they announced the Retina display.

6. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

The new iPad upped the resolution but maintained the aspect ratio so that is different compared to a whole new aspect ratio and resolution. They sell far more iPhones per day/year compared to iPads. Apple needs consistency so its possible.