will Apple replace my damaged unlocked iPhone 4 in the US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ForthRightAfter, Nov 25, 2011.

1. ForthRightAfter macrumors member

ForthRightAfter

Bought a iPhone 4 Unlocked from Craigslist months ago,now audio control & silent/vibrate buttons not working. If I take this into apple for service and they end up replacing it, will they replace it with a unlocked model or will it be locked. does anyone know?

appreciate any insight.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why don't you make an appointment with a genius and find out.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Depends how it was unlocked. If officially unlocked, that's what you'll get back. If jailbroken/unlocked, you will get a locked phone back.

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just ask them :)

5. ForthRightAfter thread starter macrumors member

ForthRightAfter

it is officially unlocked/ factory unlocked whatever you want to call it. my concern was would they have those phones in the store or would they have to send me a replacement rebuilt factory unlocked. I dunno

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure all they have to do to unlock it is punch the imei # into their system and hit some buttons.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

All the phones in the Apple store are the same. The phone is unlocked based on how they check it out on their system. If you take in a factory unlock, you will get a new factory unlock.

8. ForthRightAfter thread starter macrumors member

ForthRightAfter

thanks guys, i just didn't know if they stocked unlocked iPhones in their stores.

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

if your iphone 4 is factory unlocked the imei status will carry over the replacement until you ran out of battery, and even if later on you get a battery/damage replacement.

----------

all iphones at the store are unlocked it just a matter of the IMEI status. Apple stores have this memo about if they run out of actual factory unlocked iphones that they can use the att locked one to unlock them in the system.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Bear in mind the phone has to be less then a year old from the original purchase date or it will be out of the warranty period.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

True, but they will still replace an out-of-warranty phone for a fee ($149/$199 in the US)