Will apple replace my shattered backplate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindzmm, Jul 18, 2012.

1. lindzmm macrumors newbie

So the back of my iphone 4 is shattered, and its not that big of a deal, but I'd like to get it fixed so I can sell it eventually. I've heard many people say they will replace it for $30, but I just called and the guy on the phone said they would just sell me a new phone fore $150. Is it just that some people in the store are being nice by doing it, even though its not a rule or..? I think I'll try my luck in the store, but should I make an apt. or just go in? Thanks in advance!

2. Jman3350 macrumors member

I'd just go in, but it is in fact $150 to replace an iPhone 4. My front screen is shattered (still operable) and I need to replace it. Backplate is the same cost, since they are giving you a whole new phone, which you could live without. On the bright side, if you do replace it and want to sell it, you could claim it as newer :D

3. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Buy the backplate online and do it yourself. It's cheap and easy.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'd go in expecting to pay $29 to get the back replaced.

5. lindzmm thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to do that, but the OEM part is $30 plus shipping, and I'd feel horrible selling it with any other piece. If they won't fix it, I'll do that for sure :)

6. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Apple will replace the back plate no problem of you are very lucky they might do it for free.

7. lindzmm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all your help guys.. I also forgot to mention, I had the bumper on when it fell out of my pocket and shattered, you think that story will get me any slack? Considering it's an apple product...

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You can mention it, but no I don't think you will get any slack. There are no claims about the bumper preventing any damage under and circumstance. Apple can, and probably will, claim that it is a 100% cosmetic accessory and make no claims otherwise. Like I said, worth a shot. But let's be honest, it's $30. If they don't offer to do it for free, I would make a stink about a piddly $30.

9. lindzmm thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh for sure, I just meant if they don't offer the $30, like the guy on the phone said. I wouldn't pay $150 for it when a case covers it just fine

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

$30 is their standard policy. I WOULD make a stink about it if they didn't do that for you. Apologies, misunderstood the question.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

$30 is the standard price. I though about replacing mine because I had scratches on the back.

The guy/gal that told you it was $150 probably thought the front was cracked which is different.

12. iHuby macrumors newbie

Just yesterday, I got the shattered back on my 4S replaced for $29. However, I have Apple Care Plus. I don't know if this matters, though.

13. lindzmm thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think he knew what he was talking about because I did mention more than once that it was just the back I wanted to replace. Anyways, I was just happy I got to a human, at first Siri answered haha

14. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Yup, I am another person who paid $30 to have the back glass replaced by Apple qualified personnel at the Apple store. When they gave my phone back, it looked like a brand new phone :)

15. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

I just did this. $31.80 tax and all...out the door in 15 minutes. Apple will replace the back glass.

16. WindWaker macrumors regular

I once shattered my iPhone 4's back plate, went to an apple store, and they replaced it for free (at first they said it would cost 20 or 30 dollars iirc, but then they said they'd do it for free).