Will Apple skip the 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by esploded, Sep 11, 2012.

1. esploded, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

esploded macrumors regular

Just speculation: Do you believe Apple will skip the 'S' generation for the 5? I'm wanting opinions because if the next generation iPhone is the 5S, it likely won't be worth the upgrade, and I won't purchase an unsubsidized phone.

If it is likely Apple will skip to the iPhone 6, I'll get the unsubsidized one to save some money.

Also, somewhat related - If I use the Early Upgrade price on AT&T (that is the $250 one), will my contract be renewed? As in, will I have to pay an upgrade fee again next year?

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

How do you get from speculation to likely? Speculation is just speculation no matter how many people speculate.

Subsidies (even with a $250 fee) aren't just given away for nothing.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Possibly? the First S stood for Speed, the Second S was for Siri

What would the third S be :confused:?

(Meanwhile Samsung Sues Apple for using the "S" in their product line!):eek:

4. RiseDarthVader macrumors member

I don't think so. It seems more cost effective to go with the same design for 2 generations so you don't have to poor as much money into R&D every year. And with Moore's law you won't see any big improvements in CPU & GPU power for about 18 months between processor designs.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not even worth a conversation. Decide if you like tomorrow's phone and buy it or don't. There's no way to base the decision on a phone that isn't even rumored to exist.

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Speed again or The REAL "Siri"

7. esploded thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, it might not be a "S" but you know what I mean :p. Just the second generation with the same design.

I sold my 4S already, meaning I'll be getting the 5 regardless. I just want to know if it might be wiser if I get an unsubsidized one. (Again, I just need opinions here)

Thanks for the answer! Agreed. I guess people will buy the "S" generation phones regardless of a new design.

8. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Pretty much speculation wasn't? I don't remember seeing anything from Apple for what the S actually stood for. If the 4S was for Siri, they should have made it 4SS for Siri Sucks. It's fricken about the most unusable thing I have ever seen.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

They said it was for speed when he 3GS came out.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Unless you fit one of the following:
    • Need an unlocked phone
    • Trying to keep your unlimited data on Verizon
    • Getting a discounted plan on one of the third tier carriers
    ....it's never wiser to buy unsubsidized.

11. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I like the S generation phones because they usually have they nice body style, but with vastly upgraded components. 3G and 3GS totally different inside. 4 and 4S totally different inside.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, if history is any indication, next year's iPhone will be a "S" type update. Same design but with improved innards. Whether it'll actually be called the iPhone 5S is beside the point.

Yes, it's a new 2-year commitment, meaning you won't be eligible for the subsidized price next year. at&t may even do away with the $250 upgrade fee entirely next year. Verizon isn't doing the early upgrades so why should at&t continue to do so?

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

5S? Heck, as of this writing, there is not even a "5".

ROFLAMO

14. esploded thread starter macrumors regular

Again, I called it that because the terminology is familiar. Pure speculation and a guess to what the next two iPhones will be called for clarification's sake.

Great, thanks for the answer.
    I'll stick to the $250 route then.

15. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

It will be an "S" like phone. More of an update with the current design. I would love to see that tear drop like design we saw rumored last year. But it doesn't look like Apple is going that route. If anything those were prototype hopes of an iPhone "6" which really should be an iPhone "8", like Windows Phone "8" ahhh I'm done with these namings.