Will Apple start taking orders for the iPad 2 on the 10th, then deliver on the 11th?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by red0n, Mar 4, 2011.

1. red0n macrumors member

Also, was the last iPad shipped via overnight by default?

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

3. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

last time it was not overnight and delivered on a Saturday.

4. belac1002 macrumors newbie

What about pre-order they didn't say anything about that.

5. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

it has to clear the FCC before any pre orders happen.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

In the past the FCC has cleared iPhones, but not told anyone until after Apple announced them. Other companies can do this as well.

7. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

8. bobright macrumors 601

So the order date for online is same as store, March 11th

How about as far as shipping would it be overnighted and you get it on the 12th? thought i remember reading something about free over night shipping

9. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Order your iPad 2 from the Apple Online Store starting March 11 and we’ll ship it free, directly to your door.
    Order your iPad 2 from the Apple Online Store starting March 11 and we’ll ship it free, directly to your door.

10. baummer, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

baummer macrumors 6502a

They are not doing a pre-order, presumably because real-world availability was scheduled so close to the announcement. Therefore, I think we can logically conclude that you won't be able to order online until March 11th PST (exact time unknown, but likely not before 12:01am PST), and according to Apple's information, Apple retail stores won't be selling it until 5pm local time. I can't remember if the 1st generation iPad was shipped overnight or not, nor is it known how long shipping will take, since most online orders are typically shipped directly from the factories in China. At any rate, Apple's shipping methods are typically very fast, usually not more than a week.

It's looking like Best Buy, Target, Verizon, AT&T, etc. will also be selling it on the 11th, but I suspect those retail channels will not have the inventory Apple stores will have, and I am not certain whether or not they will observe the 5pm time window or if they will start selling them at normal opening hours (guess it depends on what directives they're received from Apple). I wouldn't be surprised to find people lining up outside of these retail stores either.

Recent product release history by Apple suggests that there is a certain amount available for online purchase that are ready to ship upon orders being placed, and any online orders that fall outside of that reserved amount will be subject to shipping delay, as is usually the case with new products.

Apple's website usually only states free shipping, and are often ambiguous about how long it will take. Your online order status should give you a better idea of when to expect it after ordering. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to ship overnight, but I would imagine there is a cut-off time for that as well as the fact that they may run out of initial inventory, which would warrant a shipping delay.

11. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Why don't you call Apple, ask them the question, then report back?