Will Apple stay with AT&T if the iPhone goes over to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klamse25, Nov 7, 2009.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Nobody knows and Steve hasn't said anything yet.

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

That would be pretty stupid for them to just drop support for AT&T.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

There are always pros and cons to both so no one will really know.

If they go with both, they have to manufacture two different phones making it a total of six (lower GB, higher GB, higher GB white) which might prove to be a hassle.

If they went with just Verizon, that would upset a tonnn of AT&T users as some might have hung onto their iPhone 3G to wait for the next iPhone update (course technically it's their fault for assuming another one is coming).

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I thought the news report said that it would stay with AT&T and go with Verizon at the same time.

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

There has been no news report, only a rumor.

Not to mention the entire rest of the world (except the 5000 in China) currently using iPhones, since they are GSM as well.

And technically its Verizon customers fault for assuming the iPhone is coming to Verizon at all, since there has been no announcement of any kind made by Apple or Verizon.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

By news report, I mean the front page news of this site.

8. MTI macrumors 65816

Giving a carrier an "exclusive" only works on a new device and since the iPhone is married to iTunes and the App Store, there isn't much of a business case to be made for abandon the existing base of AT&T customers, some of whom actually like their service.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

This thread is insane. Why on earth would Apple arbitrarily leave the network that helped them develop the device and has the majority userbase? Are Verizon fans actually insane? It's just a network... not a religion. Wow.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

That is if you ignore this story from the front page talking about Qualcomm building a new chip that is compatible with both technologies.

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

That's true too.

Is there any real difference between CDMA and GSM that a carrier would favor over another? Why not just one technology for all cell phones? Nice thing about SIM cards is that they can contain contact info.

12. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

That means even LESS reason to believe any of it :D

13. ChocolateOne macrumors member

Amen! Some of the supporters of networks are freaks. I have a friend that swears on his Verizon phone. He wanted to fight me over some of these topics and most of his information is grossly incorrect. I just have to shrug off what he says now cause its like he is brainwashed or something. I worked for both companies so I know the capabilities of both networks. I am very very very happy with my AT&T phones and my bill works for me.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

As many companies as are willing to support the iPhone will have the iPhone. We've already seen it in other countries.

They are absolutely staying with AT&T if Verizon aquires the iPhone.

15. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Great, another stupid iPhone/Verizon thread! I'm convinced that Verizon is now a religion and it's followers are religious zealots.

16. scho52386 macrumors regular

scho52386

I hope iPhone comes to every network! More iPhone users, the better in my opinion!! Who cares if everyone has the iPhone? Most do already. :) Atleast where I live. I will prolly switch back over to Verizon. CDMA from what I understand is better than GSM. :) I might be wrong. Feel free to correct me.

Premier plan with 24% off a month on services is nice though....

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

POTD. Exactly how I feel.

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Just like Mac users...

Besides, it would be to Apple's advantage to have their phone on as many carriers as possible. I know Apple got a sweetheart deal from AT&T at the beginning, but being able to offer the iPhone on more than one cell network in the states would help sell more phones while easing the burden (and bad press) AT&T is getting for their network woes.

19. stab244 macrumors member

Exactly. It's just like how Android is gaining market share now since it's spreading to carriers other than T-Mo.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple is starting to drop it's exclusive deals in the rest of the world but is still selling the iPhone through it's original partners. Orange in the UK starts selling the iPhone this Tuesday but O2, it's original exclusive partner, will still be offering them as well.

It would be stupid not to do the same in the USA when AT&T's exclusive contract runs out.

21. macsimo macrumors newbie

If the Qualcom info is correct, there will one iPhone compatible with both networks. You would go to Apple, AT & T or Verizon and purchase your iPhone. You then would go to your carrier, sign up for a plan insert your carriers SIM card for the network that you have chosen, and be on your way. Some people prefer one network over the other. Each will have its supporters and detractors. As I understand the article, you will not be able to surf the internet while talking on the iPhone on the Verizon 3G network. Some people might want that feature available on AT & T. Some people would prefer better phone reception and reliability. Therefore they may prefer Verizon. The iPhone is a great piece of hardware which will truly become more of a "world phone" with the new Qualcom chip.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Apple would lose so many customers if they moved to Verizon and dropped AT&T. That's just a ridiculous idea.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Since the rumor is that Apple would build a dual GSM/CDMA phone (like other makers are starting to do more and more)...

Then why are some people talking about dropping ATT for Verizon? Makes more sense that Apple would add Verizon as another choice.

Everyone could pick which carrier fits their needs and area best. Might even lead to some new competition on plans, which would benefit us all.

24. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Why would Apple cease making a GSM phone? That would be clinically insane because most of the world uses that standard. They may make a Verizon iPhone, but the CDMA technology is basically only used in the United States, and there is no telling what kind of problems the Verizon network may experience once they do have the iPhone.