Will Apple swap an international i4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neeliosis, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

My dad was on a trip and picked me up an iPhone 4S, because apparently they're cheaper in Europe.

The thing is, there's no unlock and/or jailbreak out yet, meaning that it's just sitting on my desk until Pod2G releases either.

My question is, will Apple swap it if I make up some lame excuse and give me an AT&T version so I can finally start using it? I've registered the serial and everything.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No, I don't think that will be possible. If the iphone was purchased in Europe and is carrier locked, it will remain locked. Apple doesn't swap iphone purchased from different country.

However, if that carrier offers unlocking, then you will have to find a way to get in contact with them and request an unlock.

How is it cheaper in Europe?

3. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Dunno, he's on a contract with T-Mobile Germany.

And anyways, I guess it's just gonna sit on my desk then. Thanks. T~T

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Purchasing a locked phone on a carrier not even in your country in the hopes that an unlock, that hasn't even really been officially announced, comes out soon. Am I missing something here?

5. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Contrary, an unlock was announced a while back. My question was that if Apple will swap it for a US version.

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Apple has always been a bit vague about iPhone international warranty. But for sure it's not as "international" as any other of their product.

For general rule of thumb, Apple must grant a warranty claims for an iPhone that bought on the same country.
    In some country, the iPhone warranty only comes from carrier, not directly handled by Apple.

And as for your question, no .. Apple won't swap your iPhone to US model, why would they?

If your father bought you an iPhone from T Mob Germany, and it is unlocked, you can use it only on AT&T or US T-Mob but no 3G support.
    No chance you can run it with Sprint or Verizon, even with a C-SIM.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

iPhone cheaper in Europe? Please tell me where...It's the exact opposite in fact, and by a long way too.

If your European model can't be swapped, you are left with the option of re-selling it on ebay CL etc.

8. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

I'm trying to get it working on AT&T. I'm gonna call them soon and ask. When the phone was activated, I had full bars and the 3G logo. Since my dad had some of his stuff on it, my retarded butt decided to restore it. Now I can't activate it, which is why I want to swap it.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am aware of what your question was (and it also seems to have been answered). I just didn't understand the reasoning for purchasing a locked phone to bring to the US. I hadn't read of an unlock officially in the works. Certainly nothing making news within the past few weeks/months.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Please point me to where an unlock was announced. There hasn't been an unlock since alittle bit after the iPhone 4 was released.