Will apps need an update for iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by houssein31, Sep 2, 2014.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

I know it isn't a 100% about the bigger screen of the iPhone6......but if it does, will it have a different resolution? Will dev need to update there apps to take advantage of the new resolution?

Thank You

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

If that's the case, then yes, similar to how it happened with iPhone 5 (and later).

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Depend on the apps. If they depend on screen dimensions: yes, update needed to fully utilize new screen size.
    When apps using concepts like AutoLayout should be no or less work.

4. ruler22 macrumors member

I think even if they use autolayout to auto adjust to the new resolution(s), they still probably will be updated at some point with higher resolutions graphics so they still look as best they can.

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

6. kaielement, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

kaielement macrumors 65816

Yes they will just like the jump from 3.5" to 4" screen. But even that some apps still haven't updated to the 4" screen size. I bet it will be a year or two until we see the majority of the apps be updated.

7. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Try 3 months till most are updated.

8. hummus macrumors member

You mean 4" screen.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Developers won't have to update their apps, since the app screens will display in some default manner, but developers should want to update their apps to increase image resolution and optimize screens, where appropriate, for the new screen sizes/resolutions.

An ideal app won't just scale the interface proportionally for every size device. That's why the screens of an iPhone app often look different on an iPad, where there's more real estate to take advantage of.

10. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

Yes. Apple has no automated ways to detect if a current app correctly works at a different resolution, something which is not guaranteed even if the app uses Auto-Layout.

Unupdated apps will all run at the iPhone 5 resolution but scaled to fill the screen.

These will look a little blurry because of the fractional scaling, but in many ways it won't be as bad as non-retina apps on a retina device.

For many of those using Auto-Layout, a simple recompile and an update tagged with support for this model should do. For others, it might be a little more complicated.

11. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

Yes an update to the app will be needed for the iPhone 6.

12. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I don't think they'll scale it. Rather they'll letterbox it. If they scale the apps, custom elements (like buttons) will be larger. And that is not what Apple want, because they keep the same DPI.

13. kaielement macrumors 65816

Lol I fixed it apperently I goofed

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Lets stay on topic folks, this isn't about whether people use apps but rather about apps getting updated.