Will AT&T charge more for the iPhone 5 plan if it is 4G/LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Sep 5, 2012.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Is AT&T likely to charge us more to use the 4G / LTE iPhone 5 vs the iPhone 4 that uses 3G?

Thanks....

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Nope, and if they do, there wil be a riot of customers.

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

They could, but seeing as how the iphone 5 isn't the first phone with LTE and the other LTE phones have the same planes... I'm guessing we're safe.

4. naveah macrumors regular

I had another question slightly related to this one. If you were grandfathered on an unlimited AT&T 3G plan, based on other LTE phone launches in the past, does anyone know if you can keep your unlimited data plan on LTE also?

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

When I switched to the one x earlier in the year, they changed my plan to an unlimited LTE plan, so I think we should be good.

6. naveah macrumors regular

That's very good news to hear. People with unlimited data are some of AT&T's most loyal customers (considering unlimited data was only available in the early days of smartphones and we've stuck with them). It would be extremely poor judgement on AT&T's part if they tried to screw us over. [P.S. I love your signature!]

7. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I believe they will. If there is an opportunity for money to be made, any smart company or business will take it. Everyone here has a sense of entitlement where they think it's owed to them or that they should get the newer, faster, better service without paying extra for it. I disagree.

8. SBA macrumors member

No. AT&T currently sells smartphones that run on their LTE network and the data plan pricing is exactly the same regardless of which network your phone is compatible with. An LTE iPhone will not require a more expensive data plan than what AT&T currently offers.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They already got tons of bad press and the FCC receiving many complaints about their decision to block FaceTime access to some users is indeed a violation of the FCC’s Open Internet rules.
    Pulling something like that will only push many customers to switch to another carrier.

10. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

unfortunately the press was not bad enough to force at&t to change its facetime policy...

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    I wonder how the FCC will handle this and what decision they will make.
    How is it a free internet and net neutrality where some users are allowed to use a feature of their phone and others with older plans dont. Data is data is data.

12. SBA macrumors member

I completely agree. It seems like it's just the way the regulations were written - it's almost like AT&T is exploiting some loophole to charge certain users for facetime. Since facetime is pre-loaded on the device and doesn't compete with a service that AT&T offers, they're somehow able to charge extra for it.

I hate the US carriers.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Where's the link to this "iPhone 5 plan"? AFAIK there's no such thing.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They did raise prices for LTE, but they were smart about it and didn't say it was for LTE.

They did it LAST month and applied it to 3G as well. The new "shared data" plans were a wide-sweeping effort for AT&T to get their pricing plans in line with what they want to be paid over the next few years.

So look at the shared data plans to see what AT&T wants to charge for LTE. They figured it out and they did it before most of their customers have LTE, so they can get what they want without people getting mad (as several in this thread suggest they would be) if they only applied it to 4G later on down the line.

Funny, isn't it? Higher prices for 4G later = bad, but higher prices for 4G and 3G in the past somehow seems better! People care far more about "fairness" than they do the actual numerical value.