Will AT&T drop unlimited data with iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jps1012, Aug 28, 2012.

1. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Is it known if AT&T will kick people out of unlimited data when they upgrade to theiphone 5? Is it true Verizon is doing that (bc its from 3g to LTE)? For me I will stick with AT&T if I get unlimited data but if not i'm jumping ship to Verizon.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We had a debate about that in the other thread with respect to at&t (whether the grandfathered plan with change to unlimited LTE or even whether you can skip LTE and still use unlimited 3G/4G on the new iPhone). Nobody seems to know for sure at this point.

4. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks for the responses. It would def suck to have to track data usage. What would be a dick move is if they change it shortly after you buy the iphone 5.

5. aneftp macrumors 601

Doubt ATT will knock people off unlimited data like Verizon did. If they wanted to, they would have announced the same time they announced their own mobile sharing plans.

Also note, unlike Verizon, ATT lets you switch between their old tiered minutes plans and mobile sharing data plans. Verizon does not let NEW customers even have this choice.

Old Verizon customers can still keep their tiered voice minutes but not new Verizon customers. Of course Verizon lets new INDIVIDUAL customers (not family plan) go towards a tiered voice system since they are already paying up the A** in terms of monthly bill.

ATT already throttles LTE users at 5GB (3G users at 3GB). It's a big enough deterrent to tell the heavy data users to
    1. Stop streaming

or pay more for data.

ATT (and Verizon) both send out text warning messages when you reach certain data usage when on a tiered data plan. They give out at least 2-3 warnings. So don't say you weren't warned to stop your heavy data usage. It's not that hard. If they send you a text at 60% data usage than 90% data usage, don't play stupid and say you weren't warned.

6. transam7816 macrumors regular

I'd be surprised if ATT didn't force people to drop unlimited data for the next iPhone. The CEO has bitched so many times about it

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

they haven't kicked me off grandfathered unlimited on my iPad 3, even though it's LTE and I eat way more data than previously with 3G.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

I think throttling users at 3GB and 5GB has been effective.

Once you've been throttle, it's a huge deterrent.

Lets be honest. From the beginning of 3G data use until probably early 2011, ATT was pretty lenient about people illegally tethering unlimited data and essentially using it as a home internet replacement/torrent downloading.

We've seen people brag about using 100GB of data a month.

Than throttling at 2GB/3GB kicked it. ATT has pretty much stopped the heavy data users. It's kinda of hard to stream netflix of 3G when throttled. Pandora works so so

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt it.
    I was talking to a friend of mine that manages a local AT&T store. Not that he knows everything AT&T does but he said they will let grandfathered plans stay and transfer to LTE devices. Its just if you switch plans you can never get it back again.
    Unlike verizon that's kicking everyone off if they get a subsidy they must switch.

10. transam7816 macrumors regular

iPad 3 came out in March.

"My only regret was how we introduced pricing in the beginning, because how did we introduce pricing? Thirty dollars and you get all you can eat." Stephenson drove the point home by adding, "Every additional megabyte you use in this network, I have to invest capital."

This was said in May. Don't be surprised.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You want to bet?:D

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'm pretty sure they will let you keep the unlimited. I switched to an S3 and then back to the iphone and my plan still says unlimited LTE

[​IMG]

13. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Att is not making people get off unlimited data plans. They are banking on people getting off themselves because of throttling and now the mobile shared data plans. HSPA and lower will be throttled once you hit 3gb of data and LTE will get throttled @ 5gb. The mobile share plans include unlimited talk and text with hotspot so they figure people will jump on that.

14. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Considering ATT will make you drop unlimited for something as simple as FaceTime, you better believe they will require the new plans for the new iPhone.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

doubt it. I really think their issues w/ offering unlimited and slowing down the network were solved w/ throttling.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's the difference so far with AT&T and Verizon.
    They give you a choice to drop your unlimited if you want for the new plans with facetime over 3G. They still offer you a subsidy while keeping your old plan.
    Verizon gives you no option besides paying $650 full price for your next iphone or automaticly lose your old plan.
    Not many people will want to pay full price for the new iphone.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If that's the case, I will keep unlimited and forego facetime over 3G (or LTE) for the time being. I don't use enough data to get throttled, but I don't want to pay more for the shared plan.

18. transam7816 macrumors regular

Depends on what the bet is..

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    I will use facetime over 3G like I have for years on a JB iphone:D

$20 via paypal;)

20. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'd be surprised if ATT drops the unlimited for those who have it. ATT is many things and does many things to tick people off but they have been faithful in letting their customers keep grandfathered plans until they change them.

21. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Just to clarify, Verizon does it if you buy a subsidized phone, not if you move from 3G to LTE. If you bring in your own phone, or buy it at retail, you can move from 3G to LTE without losing unlimited.

22. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Any updated rumors on if ATT will keep unlimited data if you upgrade to iphone 5?

23. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I don't think AT&T will act differently when the iPhone 5 comes out. When I switched to the S3 LTE I grandfathered my unlimited plan in. The rep just said I would be throttled after 5gb instead of 3gb compared to my iPhone 4s.