Will AT&T force me to add data to off contract iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by radiologyman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. radiologyman macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2011
    I got a line with damb phone and now will have an extra ip4. If I cut the SIM card and disable all cellular data, AT&T network will probably still see the imei of the iPhone. Several years ago I used off contract iPhone 2g without data but I'm afraid things are different now. Any recent success stories?
  2. dave420 macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2010
    Yes they will. The original iPhone was the only one you could always get away with this on. Some people, including me, have had luck for a month or two before getting data added. I had data blocked as well. Not sure if that made a difference.
  3. beowulfPKR macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2012
    If you are off contract they shouldn't give you a problem at all. The worst you would experience is a sales rep giving you a hard time about it if you are removing one.
  4. steph280 macrumors member

Jun 24, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    not true. You will get text messages and eventually data plan added automatically.
  5. Radiating macrumors 65816

Dec 29, 2011
    The network scans or IMEI and every month or two they do a sweep to make sure that everyone has the correct features and plans. ie smartphones are on smartphone plans and dumbphones are on dumbphone plans.