Will AT&T iPhone 4S work in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by A2H GO, Jan 17, 2012.

1. A2H GO macrumors member

Nearly bought one off eBay the other night but then thought twice about it working here in the UK.

As its GSM that shouldn't be a problem but would it need to be unlocked and therefore we would need to wait for the A5 Jailbreak and subsequent unlock?

Will the ones with 'bad esn' work here given the network block is usually only limited to the country...

2. Neeliosis, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

I think AT&T will give you an unlock code if you're going out of country.

Edit: Except iPhones.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Good luck with that. AT&T almost never gives unlock codes for iPhones.

I could be wrong, but only CDMA phones have ESNs. GMS uses IMEI.

Either way, until the dev team releases an unlock you'll probably have trouble using it.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Couldn't be more false. Under no circumstances will AT&T unlock any iPhone. You can however purchase an international roaming plan through them. Utterly ridiculous rates though.

5. Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Yeah, I was wrong lol. They did however unlock my crappy flip-phone years ago.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

They unlock almost everything but the iPhone.

7. dickdaney macrumors regular

A bad esn 4s work work either. That's is because it's probably stolen. Verizon or sprint WILL unlock an iPhone for international use if the phone is on an active account. They won't unlock a phone that has been reported lost or stolen.

8. A2H GO thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice guys, so technically an AT&T 4S will work in the UK on any UK network (as they're all gsm) once the Jailbreak/Unlock is out?

Given this is likely to be a matter of days away and looking at the prices, UK buyers could save over £200.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Only a matter of days for a Jailbreak, not an Unlock. You'll still be in the same boat.

10. Kishan3593 macrumors newbie

Hi am new to the forum, and i had the same idea as you, i wanted to know did it all work out, does the phone fully function here in the uk? :)

Thanks

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No, because there is no unlock for the iPhone 4S. You can only use an AT&T iPhone 4S in the UK if you are willing to pay AT&T roaming fees.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There is that newfangled (I say this, but it's not that new, just for the 4S) sim unlock they have on eBay and other places. Will set you back about $80 though.

My recommendation for UK users is to try and get a Sprint or Verizon unlocked phone. They are usually cheaper than the unlocked GSM only phones, and will do you just as well in the UK.