Will AT&T Take Away GRANDFATHERED UNLIMITED DATA Upon Upgrade to HSPA+ / LTE...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YaBoiD, Apr 20, 2011.

1. YaBoiD, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Will AT&T take away a customers grandfathered unlimited data and force tiered data plans when they switch most of their smartphones (iPhone 5, Atrix, etc..) to HSPA+ or LTE...?
    Verizon stated they grandfathered in their customers who have unlimited data now and will carry over to LTE for the same $30 mthly.

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

4. Weiser878 macrumors regular

I briefly went to a HTC Inspire 4G and it was an act of congress to get them to let me keep my unlimited. And they made sure to stress that it WOULD NOT work on the HSPA+ network ("You won't be able to access the 4G service"). and specifically stated there was no unlimited data available for "4G."

I ended up switching back to my iPhone 2 weeks later and had to hang up on the beyiotch I first got and call back to get someone nicer to put me back on unlimited iPhone data.

So, based on my personal experience, I'm gonna say yes.
    In fact, I believe with the next iPhone update this summer that they're gonna force you off unlimited to upgrade (because I don't see them adding an unlimited 4G iPhone data plan when there isn't one for the Atrix or Inspire

5. YaBoiD thread starter macrumors regular

YaBoiD

I hate to hear that man. I have 3 days to decide whether I want to keep AT&T or jump to a VZW iPhone. Atrix users are getting mixed results regarding keeping Unl Data: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1008698&page=8

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

7. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

They probably will. I have an unlimited Sprint 3g (4g capable) modem. I have to give that up if I want to connect to their 4g network.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Pure BS.

I'm using an Atrix and I got to keep my unlimited data plan.
    It works just fine on their HSPA+ network.
    The current restrictions on HSUPA keeps the upload link extremely slow.
    Their supposed to be lifting that restriction before the end of the month.

Sounds like you got a rep that didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
    No "act of congress", just a simple yes or no question.

A 4G unlimited data plan exists for grandfathered customers.
    It's called SmartPhone Personal
    The iPhone Unlimited Data plan is a "Gold List" plan.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think that at&t will eliminate unlimited plans on any LTE phone.

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This is entirely possible, but they still offer it for HSPA+ devices.

11. YaBoiD thread starter macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Well then I'm hoping iP5 will be HSPA+ then....

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

13. jshort macrumors regular

Most definitely. Hell they'll most likely even take it way before that.. I got the "we're taking your unlimited data plan no matter what you say" email and text message today. So in response, I just placed my order for a Verizon iPhone and told AT&T to suck it.

Long overdue.

14. whoadude111 macrumors newbie

AT&T Official Response to grandfathered unlimited data

Thank you for contacting AT&T about your wireless service. My name is Daniel D. I understand your concerns and I will be happy to assist you with Unlimited Data Plan information today.

After some research, I am happy to inform you that we don't currently have any plans to remove the Unlimited Data plan being grandfathered from customers that switch to an LTE device. In other words, at this time, you may keep the unlimited data plan once you switch. Please continue to check in with this information as this might change in the future, although we don't have future information regarding the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans.

I would also like to take some time to give *service options to allow easier account management.

*Services is offered free of charge, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    There are five offerings in *Services:
    *MIN#(*646#)- Checks remaining minute balance.
    *DATA#(*3282#)- Checks remaining data/text package balance.
    *BAL#(*225#)- Checks invoice balance and last payment received.
    *NEW#(*639#) - Checks your equipment upgrade eligibility.
    *PAY(*729)- Makes payment on an invoice.

15. LoganT macrumors 68020

I have a feeling after every carrier has gone to tiered pricing on their data plans someone else will offer unlimited again. Then every carrier will offer unlimited again as well.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you want to use HSPA/LTE service, you'll probably have to upgrade to an applicable plan. It's highly doubtful that AT&T will offer an unlimited 4G plan.
    They did this to people who switched from edge to 3G.

17. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Network upgrades really shouldn't effect data plan pricing as the service is data not "3G" data.

18. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That's kind of like saying that a $20 a month bottom-tier DSL plan should cost the same as a FIOS plan because they're both data.

Speed is what they charge for.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I went from blackberry unlimited to Unlmited HSPA+ when I got my Atrix.

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Incorrect.
    If you CURRENTLY have an unlimited data plan (iPhone Unlimited for example), you can buy a 4G (HSPA+) phone and still keep your unlimited data. They put you on a plan called SmartPhone Personal that is only available to users who are being grandfathered from an existing unlimited data plan.

Since AT&T doesn't have an LTE phone on the market, it is pure speculation at this point as to what they will do when those devices hit the market.

21. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

iphones tend to have separate plans. Do you really believe they'll let you use a generic smart phone plan for the 4G iphone?

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Who knows how they will handle it.
    My point was they do currently offer an unlimited 4G (HSPA+) plan for users upgrading to 4G phones.
    Since there is no 4G iPhone on the market, all we can do is speculate.

23. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Mobile networks are completely different thanks to the fact that wireless is not as consistant. Like I said we are paying for DATA service not a technology based service. If they want to throttle speed fine but won't restrict a new technology based on cost.

24. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

People have tried to use cheaper data plans with the iphone before and they have either failed or been forced to switch to the iphone plan. Past history is a pretty good indicator of how at&t will behave.

25. rjohnstone, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

What does that have to do with this plan or this conversation?
    The SmartPhone Unlimited plan cost the same as the iPhone Unlimited plan. Both are $30 per month for unlimited data and both only exist for grandfathered users. New users cannot get either of these plans.
    The iPhone Unlimited plan is for 3G iPhones.
    The SmartPhone Unlimited plan is for any 4G (HSPA+) smartphone.
    We don't know if this will apply to LTE device as there aren't any available yet.

I also suspect AT&T will drop the iPhone differentiation on future phone plans.