Will AT&T unlock old 4s if upgrade to new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So I'll be upgrading and paying to get out of my old 4s contract will AT&T unlock my phone after that?

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Best way to know 100% is ask AT&T for yourself. Everyone will just speak on their own personal experience. Im thinking that they will though.

3. JFC macrumors member

I asked an ATT rep this question today and they said yes.

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I doubt they'd do it for the iPhone 4S, since I think the requirement is that you fulfilled the full 2 year agreement.

General eligibility requirements for unlocking iPhone
    AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
    The person requesting the unlock is:
    A current AT&T customer.
    A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
    The iPhone was designed for use on the AT&T network.
    All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.
    The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

I think only the iPhone 4 would be eligible since that's the newest iPhone that would fulfill the 2 year commitment.

You can make the request online
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

They may if you're upgrading to a new phone with a new commitment. There's no harm in sending in the request. The worst that could happen is they say no.

5. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I'll be attempting to get AT&T to unlock my 4S after I activate my iP5. Better resale value if they do it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's their unlock policy.
    Once you upgrade and sign a new contract with another device on that line then your old phone can be unlocked.

7. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Sweet! Good to know. Guess the new owner could unlock it themselves, but I'll give it a go.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You might have to do it or use the AT&T website to submit the unlock request for them.
    Right here:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

9. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome bro, I got yo back:)

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So on that website it says:
    Given #2, does that mean when I buy a no-commitment 5 that I can have it unlocked right away? I have one year left on my 4S contract, so I am assuming that I can't unlock that after I remove it from my account, right?

So I buy iP5 for $650, can get that unlocked, take 4S off account and can not get that unlocked (Because it is still in its 2 year term commitment?)

12. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Hoping this is the case. I'd like to sell my 4S unlocked and jailbroken next week for a little more $$$ :)

13. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

if you buy a 5 outright you can get the 4s unlocked, provided you swap phone on your account.

14. satchow macrumors 6502

AT&T unlocked my on contract iPhone 4s last week.

15. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

And they refused to unlock my on-contract iPhone 4.

16. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

will they unlock the 4S on the primary line if I open a new line for the 5 and swap the sims? or does it only work if you buy a 5 at full price?

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's because its still "on-contract".

No.
    Cause the primary line will still be in contract for that 4S. Only if you early upgrade on that line you can. Not if you transfer another phone from another line.
    If you buy an i5 at full price then it will be unlock or available to be unlocked.
    You can always purchase an IMEI unlock on ebay for $20-30 also.

18. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

So since I ordered my iPhone 5 with my line first, and then ordered a 4s for my sister's line, the contract was technically reset twice. So my iPhone 5 should be done with its contract obligations since the new contract is based off the 4s?

19. RSully macrumors member

At least on AT&T, each line has it's own "contract", hence they can have different eligibility dates. So I believe you are incorrect

20. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, that should be the case. The ones sold at Apple Stores will be unlocked already (even if they say AT&T and the receipt has the disclaimer that it might be locked). That's how I got my 4S a few weeks before the official unlocked versions came out.

With AT&T it will be a little more difficult since the phone is initially locked. Submit a request on the website when you get your phone. If you are not already an AT&T customer you may need to submit proof that you bought it at full price (e.g. if you bought it from an AT&T store or reseller rather than their website).

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think you're confused. There's seperate contracts for each phone line.
    If you ordered the i5 subsidized with your line then the previous phone that was contracted on your line can be unlocked.
    If you just ordered a 4S subsidized on your sisters line then the previous subsidized phone on her line can be unlocked.
    The only way the iphone 5 your ordered can be unlocked or without a contract is if you paid full price at $649 plus tax for it for the 16GB model.