Will AT&T Unlock your iPhone if you are going out of the Country

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
And if they do unlock it, can it stay that way, as I was told to call them because I will be traveling to London?

abreviews

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
No, but if your willing to jailbreak you can unlock the phone before you leave the country.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
ATT's solution is to have you pay them an international-travel fee that lets you use your iPhone with the networks in other countries. After you pay the fee you sill pay for minutes, but they are now merely "ridiculously expensive" instead of the original "overwhelmingly expensive."

What most people do is to put their iPhone in airplane mode and just use wifi for internet use while they travel. Keeping the cellular service on your iPhone turned off is very important because you'll be charged big bucks if it accidentally comes on and checks your e-mail.

Then, for phone calls, buy a local cheap-o cell phone from a local provider with a set amount of pre-paid minutes.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Just JB and unlock your phone. And while you're at it, download MyWi from Cydia and do some free tethering just to punish them for their nonsense.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
ATT's solution is to have you pay them an international-travel fee that lets you use your iPhone with the networks in other countries. After you pay the fee you sill pay for minutes, but they are now merely "ridiculously expensive" instead of the original "overwhelminglyexpensive."

What most people do is to put their iPhone in airplane mode and just use wifi for internet use while they travel. Keeping the cellular service on your iPhone turned off is very important because you'll be charged big bucks if it accidentally comes on and checks your e-mail.

Then, for phone calls, buy a local cheap-o cell phone from a local provider with a set amount of pre-paid minutes.
I thought airplane mode disabled wifi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.