Will AT&T Unlock your iPhone if you are going out of the Country

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

And if they do unlock it, can it stay that way, as I was told to call them because I will be traveling to London?

2. abreviews macrumors newbie

No, but if your willing to jailbreak you can unlock the phone before you leave the country.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

ATT's solution is to have you pay them an international-travel fee that lets you use your iPhone with the networks in other countries. After you pay the fee you sill pay for minutes, but they are now merely "ridiculously expensive" instead of the original "overwhelmingly expensive."

What most people do is to put their iPhone in airplane mode and just use wifi for internet use while they travel. Keeping the cellular service on your iPhone turned off is very important because you'll be charged big bucks if it accidentally comes on and checks your e-mail.

Then, for phone calls, buy a local cheap-o cell phone from a local provider with a set amount of pre-paid minutes.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Just JB and unlock your phone. And while you're at it, download MyWi from Cydia and do some free tethering just to punish them for their nonsense.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I thought airplane mode disabled wifi?

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes but then you can turn Wifi back on. It gives you wifi but keeps everything else in Airplane Mode.