Will be an iPhone user for the first time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OpethSam, Aug 5, 2013.

1. OpethSam macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I got a bit tired of android and I thought now it was a perfect time for me to get an iPhone for the first time. I currently have an S3 but my new iphone 5 will come in two days. What kind of changes should I expect?? What should I do first when getting my iPhone?? i am nervous and exciting as hell. I also own a macbook pro. How can I use both together to my advantage? thanks, I will be new to this.

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Turn on iCloud for the Mac and iPhone so the contacts calendars photos sync with each other. Sync music with iTunes. Explore the fun you can do and make it a learning experience. You should expect a little less freedom in customizing your iPhone.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Download Find My iPhone and turn on Find My Mac.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Be opened minded about a closed system. You'll lose a lot of customization but gain a lot of stability and GENERAL ease of use.

I hated it for about a month. Now I wouldnt own anything else....at least at this time.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

people talk about losing the customisation when in reality what is even more annoying about iOS is how poorly apps intereact with each other.

of course, this is the nature of this closed system but ive recently switched to android and aside from being such a refreshing interface from the old iOS what blew my mind was not how much i could customise it (although those live wallpapers look good!) but how in depth apps are interconnected out of the box.

to illustrate i was setting up my phone preferences and all and suddenly a whatsapp window pops up with a new message and the ability to reply to it then and there - without leaving my current page!

i had no idea!

anyway, you'll miss that.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just that nothing operates as you are used to. There are some features and apps that you will find very similar and alike. Don't expect this for everything thou.

7. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I tried an Android phone, but for a few reasons I returned it.

One of the biggest reasons was the loss of iMessage integration across my devices (Macbook Pro, iPad mini cellular, and iPhone5).

My iPad rides with me every day at work for GPS and Evernote (for my work orders). When I get a text from an iPhone owner (probably 75% of the people I deal with, and how I receive most of my work orders) it shows up on my iPad, my iPhone and Macbook. I can reply from any of those devices and it shows up on all 3 instantly. This is a feature that I just cant live without. I couldnt find a better (or even close to being equal way) to make that happen with the Droid phone.

Also, with the ios7 integration with iMaps, when I start to type an address, it integrates with my text messages, so I only need to type a few numbers before it recognizes the address from my messages and it auto-fills the address and even says who the address came from (even if they are not on an iPhone). This is one of my fav features of ios7 on the ipad

It makes communicating via text such a joy that I just couldnt give it up (so then I returned the Galaxy S4 and went back to my iPhone5...) :)

8. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

Get ready to be blown away by how much more polished apps appear on the iPhone. And also be ready to deal with finding workarounds to things that were so easy on your Android device. The OS can seem quite limiting for people switching from Android, but if you give it some time it'll grow on you. The experience tops anything I've ever used on Android.

9. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Be prepared to be massively confused with no universal back button. This was the first thing I noticed when I first started using iOS. Sometimes I still get confused because the only way to back out of some screens is to actually touch the screen before the little arrow pops up in the upper left hand corner. Very unintuitive if you ask me.

10. aenflex, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

aenflex macrumors newbie

I went from Android to IOS, S3 to IP5, actually.

Biggest PROs: Fluidity, stability, build quality. You will not have the hitchy, stuttering, force-close type experiences with the iPhone. At least I haven't. And to met, that's worth what I've lost.

Biggest CONs: Transferring media from pc to your new iPhone won't be easy like it was with Android, and in some cases won't be possible at all. Choosing songs from your music library to use as ringtones is a giant pain in the ass. In fact, iTunes is a giant pain in the ass, IMO. Plugging your phone into your pc and transferring a file or document into your mass storage was breezy with Android, and it's just not possible with the iPhone, at least now without the help of a few different apps, and I've still never been sucessful with it. People might shoot me here, but I found the camera quality to be much better on the S3, in terms of finished product.

Still, I prefer the iPhone. I don't like hitchy and glitchy.

11. cynics macrumors G3

As far as the camera goes I somewhat agree. I've yet to find a camera app that is as nice and feature packed as stock Android apps are.

That said I think in a quick pic with automatic setting (only settings you really get with iOS) the iPhone excels. But effects and touch ups will need to be done after the pic has been taken which is a pita to me. Not a deal breaker however.

12. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Be prepared to do a lot of zooming/ squinting in browser.

13. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Better get a battery case as the iPhone eats juice fast.

14. cynics macrumors G3

Lol if I didn't know better this thread would make me avoid an iPhone. Its actually a great device alone. If you have other Apple products its even better.