Will Best Buy have a good amount of iphones in stock on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sd13, Jun 17, 2010.

1. sd13 macrumors regular

I pre-ordered and im number #39 on the list for the black 32gb. How many phones does each store usually carry on launch day? The girl who assisted me said that theres no guarantee that ill get a phone on the first day but she also said that they had a good amount of 3GS phones last year in stock on day #1. Would i lose my $50 deposit if i get lucky in radio shack or another store before my place in the priority list comes up at best buy?

2. agallowa macrumors regular

agallowa

dont compare anything related to the ip4 to the 3gs stock wise. things are very different this time around.

3. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

No they wont

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

According to AT&T, the demands are 10 times higher than 3GS. 3G to 3GS was not HUGE UPGRADE and most people were not eligible to jump. It has been two years and now everyone is eligible who bought 3G. With AT&T allow people upgrade 6 months early, it will get out of hands.

5. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

Things are different this year indeed because of the much higher demand for the i4. But i cant imagine each store actually carrying less stock than last year.

6. Iphone4Mac macrumors member

We don't now what our stock is going to look like yet.
    Thats why a email was sent out to stop all pre-orders

7. RC83 macrumors 6502

dam #39 sounds like second or third shipment.. The best buy guy told me they are getting 20 blacks on launch day.... that was before the demand was so high.. I managed to get #4 slot and he still said no guarantee.. just wait for the call man

8. casedogg311 macrumors member

All stores are getting a min of 45 total phones. So maybe 25 16gbs and 20 32gbs? Who knows.

Stores might today. I originally pre ordered with best buy (later canceled) and she was telling everyone they would start calling to set up appointments today.

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

They will almost always have more 32gb versions than the 16gb. ;)

10. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

do i lose my deposit if i get lucky elsewhere? or do i get to keep the $50 gift card?

11. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Just remember, it's all subjective to where you live. If you live in a big city with a high volume Best Buy, more likely you are going to get more. If i were an odds maker, i would place you at about 72% not getting one on launch day looking at demand everywhere.

12. RC83 macrumors 6502

13. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

I live in the nyc and the best buy in my area looks like its high volume. Hopefully most of the 38 people ahead of me requested the 16gb or white version. :cool:

14. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Looks like your chances have increased then. I wish you luck!

15. casedogg311 macrumors member

You think so? I would imagine the more affordable being the better seller, as the 32gb is probably an unnecessary luxury for most. I really have no idea though haha

16. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

maybe because they know the demand is high and the iphones will sell out regardless, they will carry more 32gb because they are bigger money makers. I imagine there will be at least a few people who would shell out an additional $100 just to get the phone earlier, even though a 32gb would be overkill for them.

17. kallyq macrumors regular

I'm hoping that since my BB had iPads several weeks after release that they will not sell out before I get there :) I know, different product, but one can hope!

18. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

45 total 30 32gb and 15 16 gb. However idk if those include the preorders. Source. I work at best buy

19. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I just came from BB and the sales guy said probably less than 50 and said there will be tons of angry and upset customers come Thursday morning...

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's not a deposit. It's worse. You bought the GC. It's yours. If you made a deposit you would get that back in the form you made it. BB wins either way.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

He is right. It is not a deposit. You bought a 50 dollars Gift card. That's all.

22. casedogg311 macrumors member

If you cancel now, you can get a refund on the gift card.

23. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I agree.

The only thing is, I think the mobile department is a separate entity and maybe it depends on mobile sales of ATT phones?

24. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

The Best Buy i pre-ordered did only 20 pre-orders before the stoppage hit.
    They aren't doing reservations for this reason and will have a singled out line for those who pre-ordered, going first in the door.

The Manager all but guaranteed me that I would get mine and since only 20 pre-orders went through, I believe him. They will not be opening early and I will be there no later than 6 a.m. I am staying positive and have every reason to do so.

Im not saying this is to be taken as any sort of trend. Each store will be different. This is a BB in a town of 60,000 people, in Wisconsin.

Blonde Buddhist